w211 ovality, help please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whitefang

Car
e320 cdi, 525tds bmw,
Hi all,
good evening hope all is good.

Im looking for a bit help again please.

Car W211 e220 cdi, failed a NCT (ireland) test or MOT (england) test.

6% imbalance on the brake ovality.

I take it its the front.

The hand brake / park brake was ok.
About 1+ (i can get the date if needed.. the car is my fathers & he keeps a personal record of date & part change) the front disc , pads, was changed, & he's a clean worker, copper grease on things.

could you please advise were to go looking / checking.?

thanks all.

Ovality is the proportion of the minimum and maximum brake force on one full wheel rotation at a brake force of 25%

Normally only relevant to drum brakes?

Could now mean the relative brake force range on a disc, perhaps due to 'warping '?

It’s really a question that you should have asked the tester.

hi all, sorry i just relpying now.

prteol pete, sorry, 6% imbalance, i think it was between the braking front & rear. & the brake test's are all smack on & well within tolerance's. sorry for my crazy statement in post ''1.

whitenemesis, yeah, ive seen a few folk saying something about 25% ... & warping, but i'd rule out (not 110% tho) but the pads & discs have been new for about less 10 months.

muckypaps, dad said that he spoke to the tester, & the tester said no idea about the fault, that a machine test's the car & the machine as failed the test. I see the point of the tester saying that, as he just test's or operates the machine, but perhaps the tester should have a bit more knowledge of the test, & but if the car now went to a garage to be done, all they can do is change everything & charge a fortune.

thanks for the help & input.

yeah....
the weekend, we removed both sides (1 at a time), the brake caliper...pads...disc...the guides... & cleaned everything up.
after taking the caliper off, pads out, & then what il call the pads guide ...
the photo below is not our car but its a w211 picture from the internet.

on the picture, there is 2 bolts with rubber gaters, when this is off the car you can actually slide the bolt part in & out. the 1 bolt part was a little hesitant.
could this be the issue for ovality.?

the bolts parts can be replaced, (the other picture is the replacement part).

thanks all.
talk to you all later.

Attachments

• hub part.jpg
    hub part.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 5
  • hub1.jpg
    hub1.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 5
Hi all .. morning.

I'm sorry for very late reply with update on the above problem.
I like to say the final out come, as I did ask you all for help.

The car passed the test (nct). & we did was remove the brake discs,, the pads & the caliper runners with the little guide's (above). Cleaned it all up, even tho it wasn't that bad. Alittle copper grease & back together, & yeah pass.

Sorry for the late reply. & Hope this does help you folk a little.

Thanks all, drive safe. Talk to you soon.

Thanks.

In case you didn't realise you need keep copper grease away from rubber. It will cause it to swell and then grab.
Red rubber grease is the stuff around rubber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom