w211 park brake cables

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whitefang

Car
e320 cdi, 525tds bmw,
hi all, hope all is well.

can i ask please...

on the w211 e220 cdi. 2007. right hand drive.

the park brake cables.

we just had to buy both new cables from the hub to < the center of the car adjuster..il call it >.

I noticed when i was looking at the parts online to buy, there different size , & labeled left & right.

I take it ...please correct me if im wrong...& this is my reason to ask for a bit of advice... the left cable goes to the left (passenger side) hub & onto the left side of the adjuster half way under the car thats above the heat sheild / prop shaft.
& the right cable goes to the right (driver side) hub & to the right side of the adjuster / prop shaft.

any knacks / tips on fitting cables...?

put to the adjuster 1st, (i take it) & pull onto the hub. ?

what happens if the adjuster ( prop shaft) activates or is activated say & is clicked on 1 or 2 clicks, to say that the park bake is engauged,... this would mean the cables wont fit as the cables are taught & stretched & i wont be strong enough to pull on to the shoes, or will i as the hub adjuster will adjust all the way off. ?

can i get my hand in enough at the adjuster (prop shaft) to release any adjustment on that.?
if so il be working blind .. what would i be feeling for to release the adjuster..? (it would save time without the removal of the prop & ...)

number 200 is the part i call adjuster / prop shaft.

not sure, why im asking ...about if the adjuster as activated or is on 1 or 2 clicks to say park brake is engauged,.. but probably knowing my luck it is...lol... hope not.

any ides please.?

thanks all..

1619520017198.png

Does the E class not have the removable hatch under the rear eat squab like the C class of similar vintage ? On my 2006 C class its just a few bolts to remove the lower seat squab and one bolt to pop the 'trapdoor' off and the adjuster mechanism where the cable join/split is easily accessible from above.

Hi petrol Pete. how u doing..

Sorry to sound stupid ...or like I don't no anything, but what do u mean
... removable hatch under the rear eat squab....
Thanks mate.

Hi petrol Pete..
Just re read u reply mate. Under the seat. I got a picture but it's for the w203 c class.
Any body please confirm it it's the same on w211 e class please.
Thanks petrol Pete, made me open my eyes tho look at the job a bit easier.

Thanks

Hi ya petrol Pete,
Thanks for the pictures mate, hope you didn't go to the effort of stripping down the back of your car to show me. If you did or did not appreciate it, thanks..

Ye, the e class is different. I was speaking to me dad & he's got the ends on the centre part & into the adjustments on the hubs, so I'd take it it's just put hubs on & adjust it now.

Thanks for help. The sister as a c class think it's w203 / w204, & the power steering is screaming a bit, so IL probably be back on later asking for heads up on that. Unless it's a straight forward part that needs replacing.

Talk to you later,
Thanks again.

I changed the fluid in my power steering , the fluid in mine was black , very watery and it stank. My steering rack holds about a litre. I replaced it the 'long , expensive way' for reasons known only to myself.

That being sucking fluid out of the reservoir with a big syringe (equestrian shops sell them) and constantly replacing it over a few drives until the fluid was nice and clear , took about 3 litres all told.

The proper manner is quite easy but requires jacking the front up and removing lower cover , but is no big deal if you tube is to be believed.

I have seen on USA links that non OEM steering rack kits comes with a new reservoir as the filter is built into the reservoir 🤷‍♂️ I only replaced the fluid on my with genuine MB stuff, I believe there are 2 different fluids and getting the correct one is obviously important.

After the change the steering was much quieter on full lock. I have no idea if it is on the service schedule but just one litre of fluid flowing through the valve body and pump must work quite hard so changing it can only be a good thing in my opinion, just to keep any seal and o rings in good condition 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom