W211 Parktronic woes - Main Dealer only option?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kdh

Car
E Class 320cdi Estate
Any help appreciated...

W211 E Class Estate

Took car into local garage to fix Parktronic which was showing red lights all the time.

They plugged a Diagnostic machine in and found 1 faulty sensor. Replaced sensor, charged £140 plus vat for diagnosis, sensor and fitting.

Two days later, starts playing up again.

Back into garage. Diagnostic machine reports Parktronic not working but gives no reason.

Garage advises taking it to main dealer rather than replacing lots of sensors.

Anyone had a similar problem? I'm scared of taking it to a Main Dealer because they make me feel poor and I can't afford their labour rates. I know the bill will be hundreds, but my wife needs the sensors to help park the monster.

Is there any way around this, like maybe asking an aftermarket sensor-fitter to have a look?

Any ideas?

many thanks, Kim

Take it to a proper Merc Indy. The star machine pinpoints the faulty sensor properly. Have it replaced and you should be ok. I had 3 sensors fail in 4 weeks back and front.

Dont use a jet washer on them or let others use them, there seems to be a lot of people have trouble when someone has jet washed them. Try looking it up on the search at top of page, good luck.

The weirdest thing happened today.

Car booked into Merc Indy tomorrow and for the first time today in 6 weeks, the Parktronic started working.

I haven't cleaned the sensors recently or dried them out or anything.

Very odd but saved me a few bob...until...they stop working again. I hope not.

Would that indicate a fault with the system rather than the sensors does anyone know?

The Indy will be able to read stored codes and past events so can tell you what was causing the problem.

Parktronic as well as other auto electrics do tend to play up in colder weather although today was pretty warm.

I had a similar problem which was always worse in wet weather, after a day or two of dryness it worked fine but the problem got worse and a faulty sensor was replaced.

The Indy will be able to read stored codes and past events so can tell you what was causing the problem.

Parktronic as well as other auto electrics do tend to play up in colder weather although today was pretty warm.

Due to poverty, I've put the visit off. But no doubt I'll be back.

I don't think Parktronic should play up in cold weather or even wet weather. Wife's Mazda has had parking sensors on for 10 years and have never missed a beat.
They even beep when you're getting closer to the object, rather than when you're about to hit it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom