W211 pre or post facelift?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Mirror Man

Car
W211 E270 CDI Elegance.Rover 75 Tourer
I really enjoy the Elegance interior of my 2004 E270 but I worry about the SCB and my car doesn't have heated seats: so I'm wondering if it would be worth trading up to the facelifted E. Are they better than the Pre facelift cars??

I have a pre-facelift E220 cdi and in truth had I researched more before purchase I'd have gone for a facelift model. Having said that my own car is really well screwed together, the SBC is a fantastic system and I have no complaints at all. I personally would not trade up and would rather take a hit on the SBC pump if and when it goes rather than spending money replacing the car. Just an opinion of a non-expert.

Loved my 2008 w211 V6 320cdi so am biased , but it is more complex motor and gearbox than the older straight 6, maybe better the devil you know

They're both good imo, but personally, I would go for the Facelift simply because it looks better and seems more reliable and it has the more, better refined V6 engine and 7 speed transmission.

If you're happy with the one you have, unless you really, REALLY want heated seats I'd stick with that. I have a facelift 320 CDI, and I prefer the look of the front end to the pre-facelift, but I've always had Avantgarde or Sport trims, which have heated seats as standard.

The 7G transmission is indeed much better than the 5G - not nearly so laggy - but not enough on its own to make me change if I had a 5G.

Retrofitting heated seats is easy if you find a used pair of seats same colour with the pads fitted , just fit the seats, get the loom from MB and connect up to an oem switch set you can off eBay used too

Certainly easier than changing the car and all the hassle that could come with it

The w211 is not a new car so I would never buy on spec as with a little work everything can be retrofitted. I looked at a few before getting my preface lift 1 I prefer the look and 2 it was the best condition i found, but like you I want heated seats so will be fitting these come the summer when my other car is on the road again. I did look at a facelift with loads of toys including heated electric rear seats with similar miles but was rough condition and would have taken more work to get the way I want. Plus if you like the car and know it's qwerks your in a better place than with another car. Plus I know if anything major goes wrong with mine I can part her out for a profit lol

The most bulletproof of the W211’s is a facelift E220 CDI; 4cyl reliable engine + more reliable 5 speed gearbox + no SBC.

Retrofitting heated seats is easy if you find a used pair of seats same colour with the pads fitted , just fit the seats, get the loom from MB and connect up to an oem switch set you can off eBay used too

Certainly easier than changing the car and all the hassle that could come with it
I'm not sure it's that easy doing an OEM job on the W211 (you need to replace a SAM module or something). You could just get somewhere to fit an aftermarket kit with buttons on the seats though.

If you're happy with the one you have, unless you really, REALLY want heated seats I'd stick with that. I have a facelift 320 CDI, and I prefer the look of the front end to the pre-facelift, but I've always had Avantgarde or Sport trims, which have heated seats as standard.

The 7G transmission is indeed much better than the 5G - not nearly so laggy - but not enough on its own to make me change if I had a 5G.
Interesting that you use the word "laggy". Do you mean it changes quicker or are you referring to the way it pulls away from stationary?

Interesting that you use the word "laggy". Do you mean it changes quicker or are you referring to the way it pulls away from stationary?

A bit of both, really. It certainly changes noticeably faster than the 5G, and the slight dead movement you get when opening the throttle from idle seems to be a little less too.

The w211 is not a new car so I would never buy on spec as with a little work everything can be retrofitted. I looked at a few before getting my preface lift

I take it you have another E-class; your 2000 E320 CDI has to be a W210, surely?

"The w211 is not a new car so I would never buy on spec as with a little work everything can be retrofitted." Indeed it can, but at a price. Depends how much you are willing to spend.

Personally, I would always tend to stick with the one I had unless I could not live with its deficencies.

It was sold that years ago just got a e220 w211 need to update that.

The most bulletproof of the W211’s is a facelift E220 CDI; 4cyl reliable engine + more reliable 5 speed gearbox + no SBC.

I thought SBC was dropped entirely for the facelift W211s? I don't miss it, tbh; the standard servo brakes work very well, and the pedal feel is much better without it.

I can see you are a diesel man... but for the petrol boys the most noticeable difference pre and post facelift is on the E500 where it got an extra 500 cc and loads more power. No brainer for the facelift ....if you can find one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom