W211 Problem replacing rear brake disc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MORGANpl

Car
Mercedes W212 E350 AMG Bluetec Night Edition Premium Plus
The brake light come on so I order full set discs and pads. Replaced front with no problem. The problem starts with the rear one. One side ok on the other one I've got problem with removing one bolt. The bolts sits in the bearing carrier I think that's how it's called that part. It goes out few mm and than gets stuck. Both parts looks made from aluminium and when you try using bit more force you have that felling like the bolt is getting soft. If more force i might brake it or damage the tread and than it will be nightmare. Anyone experience same problem? Maybe it is just the glue that is on bolt and make it more difficult? What to do? If I damage it Mercedes quote me for the part and labour 1250£ :doh:

check to see if the carrier slider isnt turning when your trying to get bolt out, think its a 15 mm or 17 mm end . the bolts get stuck in a vaccuum of grease but should pull out once screwed out enough .

Ok thanks i will try it but very gentle. I manage to get picture and I marked the bolt.

Attachments

• DSC_0215.JPG
    DSC_0215.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 43
check to see if the carrier slider isnt turning when your trying to get bolt out, think its a 15 mm or 17 mm end . the bolts get stuck in a vaccuum of grease but should pull out once screwed out enough .
Like I said it only gets outlike few turns. Few mm and than its getting tight when I try to undo it.

These look like the Caliper Bolts? That hold the caliper to the hub.

That being the case they will be coated with anti-tamper loctite and it may be that you feel getting "soft" as it tries to run the thread through the loctite. You only have one option (that I can think off). Grit teeth, shut eyes and carry on winding it out, hoping that all is OK. If it snaps? Then you will have to drill it out. If it doesn't come out? You will have to use heat and or a bolt extractor.

Doomed if you do, doomed if you don't. I would go for it with a good socket and ratchet and as stated lots of soaked in Plus Gas or Diesel.

thick bolts those , id go with the above advice ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

If it's the Loctite that's causing the problem, then some heat will help by softening it.

Get a good ring spaner on it and give it agood heave ho it will come out . If i get this i stick my small bottle jack umder the ring spaner and wind it up , it wins every time . They say to replace these bolts after use . The bolts are made of steel ,,and are very strong you wont break them .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom