W211 - quick query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

milleplod

Car
S212 E350CDi
Morning chaps.

My E280CDI Sport has just started squeaking from the front nearside, especially at parking speeds. I've already picked up a bargain-priced Febi track control arm (?), part 140 on the diagram - is that what usually causes the squeaking? Hopefully it is, as that looks relatively easy to change! Could it be part 100 instead? Or both??! :eek:W211 front suspension.JPG

Pete

Bottom ball joint (20) is the common culprit. They cost about £25 and are easy enough to change if you have the right tools, ball joint press and a strong separator.

I've already picked up a bargain-priced Febi track control arm

It’s recommended to change in pairs. Personally I would only fit Lemforder/TRW or OE (which is most likely Lemforder/TRW but that’s open for debate).

Try using a syringe and needle and put 2mls of atf into the rubber of part 20. If the squeek goes thats the culprit.

Morning chaps.

My E280CDI Sport has just started squeaking from the front nearside, especially at parking speeds. I've already picked up a bargain-priced Febi track control arm (?), part 140 on the diagram - is that what usually causes the squeaking? Hopefully it is, as that looks relatively easy to change! Could it be part 100 instead? Or both??! :eek:View attachment 88875

Pete
Definitely no.20 I just changed both o/s and n/s on my E55. Bought ball joint separator and joint press from ebay. Special clamp tool for the w211 for £40. Took about an hour to do.. what a difference. Car drives nice and tight just like it was new. Before it was skittish and all over the road especially on rough surfaces. Hope this helps. I bought both joints from main dealer for £70 all in with my trade discount (original mb ones).

Morning chaps.

My E280CDI Sport has just started squeaking from the front nearside, especially at parking speeds. I've already picked up a bargain-priced Febi track control arm (?), part 140 on the diagram - is that what usually causes the squeaking? Hopefully it is, as that looks relatively easy to change! Could it be part 100 instead? Or both??! :eek:View attachment 88875

Pete
Definitely no.20 I just changed both o/s and n/s on my E55. Bought ball joint separator and joint press from ebay. Special clamp tool for the w211 for £40. Took about an hour to do.. what a difference. Car drives nice and tight just like it was new. Before it was skittish and all over the road especially on rough surfaces. Hope this helps. I bought both joints from main dealer for £70 all in with my trade discount (original mb ones).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom