W211 Rain Sensor and Light Sensor seems deactivated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Davey

Car
2005 E320 CDI
Hello,

I have a 2005 w211 e320 CDI

My car has recently had the rain and light sensor stop working.

The wipers on the first setting work like any other cars, like once every 5 seconds, and the automatic headlight setting (first position) simply is always on.

The command navigation is always in night mode even in bright daylight and direct sun.

The only thing I can think is that I disconnected the trunk battery a few weeks ago to try to reset a seat problem, but I'm fairly certain it all worked until recently. We have had lots of rain lately.

I have tried:

-Cleaning the windshield at the sensor.

-Shining a flashlight at the sensor to try to induce lights off.

-Disconnecting the trunk battery for a minute and reconnecting.

-Taking the overhead module down and disconnected and reconnected all connectors inside, also the connector to the sensor I plugged and unplugged.

I inspected the sensor PC board up close as well as the windshield and plastic optical elements and it all appears to be in perfect shape, I seriously doubt it is the problem. I have ordered another sensor with the same part number and will try that, but I have a feeling the unit needs to be enabled in the SDS or something like that.

Any ideas?:dk:

As I understand it the COMAND has its own light sensor and invokes night mode irrespective of the auto lights sensor.

The fact the auto wipe function has stopped and the headlamps are on suggests the combined rain and light sensor is goosed. Do you have any error messages in the cluster display?

No errors. I am unsure if the comand has it's own light sensor, but there are two small round areas on it that look like they may be light sensors.

Regardless why would all THREE fail at the same time? Maybe it's just two?

Hello,

I have a 2005 w211 e320 CDI

My car has recently had the rain and light sensor stop working.

The wipers on the first setting work like any other cars, like once every 5 seconds, and the automatic headlight setting (first position) simply is always on.

The command navigation is always in night mode even in bright daylight and direct sun.

The only thing I can think is that I disconnected the trunk battery a few weeks ago to try to reset a seat problem, but I'm fairly certain it all worked until recently. We have had lots of rain lately.

I have tried:

-Cleaning the windshield at the sensor.

-Shining a flashlight at the sensor to try to induce lights off.

-Disconnecting the trunk battery for a minute and reconnecting.

-Taking the overhead module down and disconnected and reconnected all connectors inside, also the connector to the sensor I plugged and unplugged.

I inspected the sensor PC board up close as well as the windshield and plastic optical elements and it all appears to be in perfect shape, I seriously doubt it is the problem. I have ordered another sensor with the same part number and will try that, but I have a feeling the unit needs to be enabled in the SDS or something like that.

Any ideas?:dk:

I have exactly the same problem on my 280 sport w211, i saw your post on the other forum - did the replacement sensor do the job and how easy was it to change ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom