W211 Rattle from behind dash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wilko50

Car
W211 280 CDi -OM642- Engine
Hello, I am hoping someone can help. Got this very annoying rattle, sounds like a CD stuck behind instrument cluster making a jiggling rattle noise over small bumps in the road. I have taken instrument cluster out and found nothing, checked center speaker and vents and all ok. It`s driving me nuts, please help if you can. The sound is below in video, please ignore SBC pump coming in. Thank you :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Are you certain it's nothing in the glovebox?

Can you hear the noise from outside when windows are down?

Has the Heater Valve been changed and not fitted correctly eg left loose behind the fire wall?

Does it change if you put the screen demister on full?
Ah, I have not tried that one, I will tomorrow. It sounds like something is loose and needs tightening. I am hoping it`s just loose trim but it niggles not knowing what it is and I keep expecting something to fall off. Thanks for replying to me, I will let you know what happens tomorrow after I try the demister. Thanks again :)

Does it change if you put the screen demister on full?
You are clever, it`s been bothering me for two years. Checked what you said with the demister on full and the noise has gone even with it turned off. It will come back but at least that seems to be the issue. Is there anything I can tighten up ? Thank you

Has the Heater Valve been changed and not fitted correctly eg left loose behind the fire wall?
Another member said run the demister and the noise has gone for the time being :) Maybe the heater valve is loose?

If the sound has gone running the demister i presume the front screen? id say the fan is a little dry, Check the Pollen filter and lube the blower perhaps.

If the sound has gone running the demister i presume the front screen? id say the fan is a little dry, Check the Pollen filter and lube the blower perhaps.
Thanks I will do that, yes it was front demist. Is the blower the spinning fan behind the pollen filter and could I use GT 85 to lube it ? Thanks

I have used Gt85 before with good effect, you don't need much, you try a little spray grease 1st if you can get in there.

It has come back , jam jar lid sound from in between instument cluster and windscreen blower slots 😪 If I knew it was nothing important I would ignore it, waiting for something to fall off 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom