W211 rear abs/reluctor ring replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

petecb

Car
2003 e500
Hi guys , looking to see if anyone has had hands on experience with replacing a rear reluctor ring on an e500 w211 . I have viewed several videos on the procedure and all looks pretty straight forward . It's a hub off job but all looks pretty easy. The reason why I ask is that I had a local indipendant garage quote me over £400 to do the job stating that it will take nearly 6 hours , surely this can't be right can it ? Unless I'm missing something drastic or there's a procedure that I'm unaware of, i can only see it being 2-3 hours max if I do it myself . Seeing as I have already purchased the ring from mercedes for a grand total of £10 , I think I'm gonna give it a go myself .

Hi guys , looking to see if anyone has had hands on experience with replacing a rear reluctor ring on an e500 w211 . I have viewed several videos on the procedure and all looks pretty straight forward . It's a hub off job but all looks pretty easy. The reason why I ask is that I had a local indipendant garage quote me over £400 to do the job stating that it will take nearly 6 hours , surely this can't be right can it ? Unless I'm missing something drastic or there's a procedure that I'm unaware of, i can only see it being 2-3 hours max if I do it myself . Seeing as I have already purchased the ring from mercedes for a grand total of £10 , I think I'm gonna give it a go myself .

Update on quote - mistake made by garage on times , quoted for both sides so time estimate is now 3 hours which seems more reasonable. Still going to give it a go myself and so will let you know how I got on once completes

Update on quote - mistake made by garage on times , quoted for both sides so time estimate is now 3 hours which seems more reasonable. Still going to give it a go myself and so will let you know how I got on once completes

And 2 hours later...done!
Id just like to thank everyone for their advise and help on this matter. No , I really mean it . Is so t think that I could have done it without you . I really take my hat off to you . It's truly amazing how the support of an online forum can assist . God bless you all and may your first sons be healthy and strong . I still can't believe how everyone got behind me on this , it really gave me the motivation and push to get through.
God bless mbclub and God bless America

Id just like to thank everyone for their advise and help on this matter. No , I really mean it . Is so t think that I could have done it without you . I really take my hat off to you . It's truly amazing how the support of an online forum can assist . God bless you all and may your first sons be healthy and strong . I still can't believe how everyone got behind me on this , it really gave me the motivation and push to get through.

Well it was that easy that you didn't need any help.
You are obviously a very competent mechanic, and quite capable of undoing a few nut and bolts, and replacing a magic magnetic ring.
:crazy:

Hi Pete, you make it sound easy. Any tips on getting the drive shaft out of the hub? That seems to be the bit of the job that can cause problems.. thanks Paul

Hi Pete, you make it sound easy. Any tips on getting the drive shaft out of the hub? That seems to be the bit of the job that can cause problems.. thanks Paul
As he's not been back on here for nearly 5 years I somehow doubt that you'll get a response to your question... :(

Yup, that can often be tricky. These are old cars now, and things can become quite comfortable where they are. Undo the nut, wind it back on a couple of turns to protect the threads. I usually play some heat as close in to the splines as possible for a few mins to help. A ball pein hammer held ball onto the dimple in the end, and then a big hammer onto that. WEAR GOGGLES!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom