W211 Rear Axle/Diff - Oil Change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok, had a go at changing the oil today.

Two problems.

1) Even with my extensive tool kit I didn't have the right tools!! My numerous sump plugs don't fit and looks like I need an E18 Female Torx socket for the fill point - which I believe is through the hole at the rear about half way up? I couldn't find anywhere else and thus assume this is where the fill is.

2) It's bl00dy icicles out there today!! I shall have to get the right tools and use my local motor club ramp - at least its inside!

Tony....

Make sure you remove the filler plug before you open the drain plug.

Its just a precaution in case the filler plug is too tight and wont budge, or else you will find that you would have drained your oil with no way of putting it back in.

Good, basic advice! I always take the filler out first but on this occasion didn't even get that far as my Female Torx Sockets only go up to E16!

Tony

Hi,
bit of a thread resurrection ;)

but working through a few jobs on a recent car purchase and no evidence of the diff oil being changed so another job added to the list

there is not a lot of room under the car even when all four wheels up on blocks.... oh for a 4 post lift
managed to get the fill plug out so then onto the drain plug :thumb:
fresh GL5 75w85 got to be worth while and another job done
don't think they have been moved for a number of years.

I'm going to do this on my S211 soon, already have the Fuchs oil and I think the 14mm hex. Is it very difficult to access the filler and would a syringe help in filling with oil?

Hi,
the hardest part was getting access to release the fill plug
(just above a casting web front of the diff n/s)
I then used a 1 litre oil bottle with a flexible top and squeezed it to push the oil in, about 500ml at a time, a syringe should work much better
measured the amount that came out and put the same back in, both cases just a small trickle of oil coming from the fill plug
:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom