W211 Rear No. Plate LED's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyKO

Car
W211 E270 CDI
Hi guys,

Just got some No. Plate LED bulbs from Halfrauds and they are a bit of a squeeze to get into the actual lense where the original bulbs sit.

The LED's won't come on after squeezing into the lense bulb holders, so I put them directly into the bulb clips in the boot lid recess but they only come on if you wiggle them about by hand and it's not poss to put the lense cover back on either. :dk:

Anyone fitted a set that actually fit perfectly and if so do you have a link as to where you got them please? The 'normal' bulbs are really bugging me!

Thanks guys

there are two types of festoon bulbs, two sizes, have you got the correct size?

you can get the brighter complete LED unit but thats even more of a pig to fit as you have to take half the bootlid apart.

there are two types of festoon bulbs, two sizes, have you got the correct size?

you can get the brighter complete LED unit but thats even more of a pig to fit as you have to take half the bootlid apart.

They look virtually the same size but I guess not as they are a real squeeze to get in the lense covers mate.....By the sounds of it, I'd rather just get the bulbs rather than that LED kit you mention..

They look virtually the same size but I guess not as they are a real squeeze to get in the lense covers mate.....By the sounds of it, I'd rather just get the bulbs rather than that LED kit you mention..

I fitted a set in my old W211 and I had to play about with them before I got them to work properly. Try flipping them around if possible.

The ones I had were similar to these - 2x 36mm 3 SMD LED Canbus Error Free Number License Plate Light Bulbs Xenon White | eBay except I had 6 LEDs on each bulb.

Had the same problem, the only way I could figure to do it, due to the bulb size, is to take off the little bulb holder sections on the lense, so that the lense is just supporting the bulb from underneath.

Following issues with the above method;

1. There is no way back once you've removed the bulb holder sections from the lense (only if you get new lenses).
2. Pulling out the lense will no longer remove the bulb from the metal pins and as you have probably already gathered it is a little trickier to remove the bulb without the lense (but it is still possible).

Had the same problem, the only way I could figure to do it, due to the bulb size, is to take off the little bulb holder sections on the lense, so that the lense is just supporting the bulb from underneath.

Following issues with the above method;

1. There is no way back once you've removed the bulb holder sections from the lense (only if you get new lenses).
2. Pulling out the lense will no longer remove the bulb from the metal pins and as you have probably already gathered it is a little trickier to remove the bulb without the lense (but it is still possible).

I was thinking along the same lines, cutting away the buld holder bits from the lenses..Guess I'll give it a go, I returned the set I got from Halfords telling them they won't fit, but now I have one of the original bulbs dead so a good excuse to get another set of LED's and give it a try, the originals are just so bloody 'yellow'!

just go for the LED replacement units , save urself the hassle!

just go for the LED replacement units , save urself the hassle!
If it's the one that is a whole unit, it's such a pain to install, as the boot lining and lid need to come off.

I was contemplating on resistors from Osram, but apparently they run really hot, which is worrying as they would sit close to the carpet lining in the boot

It's worth the effort and not really that hard

Led's

Hi I bought some 36mm LED's off eBay which fit perfect in the metal clips then just push the lens straight in. No hassles :bannana:

I've bought a few sets off eBay and here and have always found they need to be flipped when fitting to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom