W211 Rear Suspension - 3rd unit failure.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TwoWells

Car
Mercedes E280 CDi
Hi All
Just over a year ago the rear of my 2008 W211 280CDi started sinking down while parked. Our local indy garage diagnosed that it was due to a valve "Sticking". It was the original unit on the car so I had it replaced.
Just under a year later I looked at the car and thought it looked low on the same corner again. I convinced myself it was parked on a slope or something but one year and one day after the fitting the original, it was clearly sat very low so I took it back to our local garage. They diagnosed a fault with the unit which Mercedes replaced under the 2 year warranty for which I was grateful.
A few weeks later, we were headed off on holiday to France, packed the car with a full load and set off. It was a full load but nothing heavy. A few miles up the road en route for the ferry I filled up with diesel and looked at the car and the same corner had sunk again. We got the car home, threw out most of the stuff and put what we could into my wife's tiny car and had to go in that (no air con, no cruise etc - wasn't happy). Back from a fortnight's holiday it turns out that the new unit had burst inside the casing. This absolutely should not have happened. It was supplied by MB. Another one is being fitted today, again, under warrantee.
Is this coincidence does anyone think or is this a batch of faulty units?
Got to say, it's shattered my confidence in the car.

Not great! Think my problem may be different as the estates have different rear suspension

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom