W211 Rear Suspension swap finally creates car issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

englishdas

Car
57 E200 Kompressor
Wow, its been, like, ages since I was last here, sorry chaps, I seem to have purchased a ridiculously reliable Mercedes.

So, had our 57 Plate W211 200Komp Saloon for a while now, and on its last service, at Deutche Mark, in Doncaster, was informed of a spring on back end being on its way out.

Obviously I Fixed it straight away, I mean, left it till the MOT is almost due.

So after dropping on a new set of springs last week (changing both sides, and discovering the 'good' side was just as broken at both the top and bottom of the spring), Ive finally encountered an issue I cant diagnose and isnt something you can plug in to figure out, or at least i dont think...

Driving down to Tescos, my goodness its as squirrely as a, er, squirrel. And making slow turns around the car park following the Honda Jazz Type-Zzzz's, Its making tyre screeches like I'm auditioning for a Bourne Film stunt driver. I mean, they screech almost all the time, I think mainly from the rear.

Any ideas? Could it be the way I refitted stuff? It seemed pretty straigtforward, though I have to say that the screw securing the top suspension 'cap' seems a bit minimalist but I figured 2 tonnes of car stops it all shimmying about, due to downward force/weight. Everything seemed to go together well and I torqued the hell outta everything, as per how it was when I removed the previously quiet components.

But yeah it doesnt seem settled anymore, driving-wise. And as I say, main issue is the screaming rubber on mild, slow turns.

What could be the issue?

Thanks folks, in advance. Sure is nice to find Im not on every week with another thrown injector etc though...

Last edited:
Is it possible that the wheel alignment has gone out of spec whilst the springs were being changed?

Is it possible that the wheel alignment has gone out of spec whilst the springs were being changed?

Yes, I suppose so,

Did you remove the bolts on the bottom arms to remove springs? Chassis end?

I undid everything at the wheel hub end.

Stop driving it.

Get it seen to.

Ok, will do. What am I seeing to? is it, as Tigger says, an alignment issue?

Thanks so far, all :)

Obviously an alignment issue, I always replace rear springs on a w211 by disconnecting the hub end, only the lower arm joint though, get the rear set up correctly and I'm sure it will be fine.

Obviously an alignment issue, I always replace rear springs on a w211 by disconnecting the hub end, only the lower arm joint though, get the rear set up correctly and I'm sure it will be fine.

Thank you, im glad I did it at the hub end, mainly cos I couldnt find my 60 hex, really, but yes its booked in for alignment.

Thanks all.

SOLVED, new tyres on rear end and wheel alignment/ tracking done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom