W211 remote auto windows stopped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSS

Car
E-320 CDI Elegance 2004, fitted with Avantgarde alloys
Sunny day today so thought I'd open all the windows with the remote to keep the car cool. Remote opened the doors but the windows failed to move, pressed the open remote button again.....nothing..???

Read about resetting the windows on other threads, tried the one touch up & down that worked ok including the sunroof. Tried the reset up & down on all windows and the roof but still not working.

Opened one of the windows halfway, locked car and keeping button pressed the window closed :bannana: great I thought all working now.

Nope...:mad:

Even tried the spare key and that won't close the windows remotely either.

So any thoughts, I'll try resetting the windows up & down again tomorrow and the roof in open/closed/tilt but running out of ideas.

Nothing has changed on the car, did have the battery disconnected briefly but that was months ago and I've used the remote to close the windows since that so I'm puzzled....:dk:

I have fallen into this trap recently myself.

The clue is in "Sunny day today". The IR signal does not take kindly to the UV when the sun is out in force. You have to hold the fob fairly close to the sensor and shield it above with your other hand. Even then it is still touch and go...

Seems rather ironic that the thing you're trying to mitigate against is the thing which defeats the facility. :rolleyes:

I didn't even know they had this - is it a standard feature?

Will have to get the manual out again I think...

I'm by no means a scientist but wouldn't it be Infrared from the Sun causing the signal to be interfered with?

7 Years owning our current E class and I only found this out the other week.

Quite handy with little ones that leave windows down a little when you stop. Or as you walk up to car on a hot day to let the initial heat out.

It is usually the receiver in the drivers door packing up......

Point noted about the sunlight but I've not noticed that before.

So there I am in the dark, opening and closing the doors, no window movement, then I try pressing the button twice.............and it works....:bannana:

So you can't press the open button and hold it you have to press to open, release then press and hold again. I always operated the windows I remember like this, you had to press the button twice & hold. The manual says it will do it on the first press and hold...?

Maybe it just got confused :wallbash:

I'll test again in the morning, and thanks for the replies....:thumb:

So there I am in the dark, opening and closing the doors, no window movement, then I try pressing the button twice.............and it works....:bannana:

So you can't press the open button and hold it you have to press to open, release then press and hold again. I always operated the windows I remember like this, you had to press the button twice & hold. The manual says it will do it on the first press and hold...?

The manual does indeed state that (well mine does anyway).

So I am standing there hold the button, it unlocks the car and does sod all else.

I thought it might be because I don't have the roof option.

Will try it again a la double press...

:thumb:

My 211; unlock. let go button. press unlock and hold down; (whilst pointing at the receiver) and the windows start to open.

to close; lock and release button. point and keep lock pressed and windows start to go up

^ same as mine, its a good feature, just a shame it isn't as good as the one on our Renault Scenic. (The scenic you just lock the car twice and the windows all go up without you having to do anything further).

Nope, even tried as above but still nothing.

I guess this was an option...

only works when you press second time and hold down not once like the book says
interesting

7 Years owning our current E class and I only found this out the other week.

Quite handy with little ones that leave windows down a little when you stop. Or as you walk up to car on a hot day to let the initial heat out.

Also don't forget that after opening all the windows you can then close them when you are in the car by holding in the recirculate button.

only works when you press second time and hold down not once like the book says
interesting

Not on mine.

I can't say I'm annoyed though - if you leave windows down in hot weather, it attracts the rain...

Another little tip for the 211 owners (like myself). Not sure which other models do this, but;

When you are sat in the car and you press the 'power' touch button to close a window, if you put your fingers in the way the window senses it and goes back down.

Just a quick note, you seem to get one shot at using the remote window control I've found. Don't activate then the moment you've stopped or when returning to the car and they won't work. Open the car to put things in the boot then decide you want to open all the windows and it won't operate, however do it the moment you return to the car and it works.

So if it seems to be playing up leave it alone and try again later when it's finished sulking........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom