W211 Replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gipsyracer

Car
2007 E280 Avantgarde Estate
After 8 years and 135,000 miles together, I'm looking to replace my E280 estate. The options are myriad, so I would really appreciate real word advice from users on here.

My current E280, which was lavishly equipped from new, cost the first owner about £46k, so I was very pleased with my £9k purchase at 75,000 miles. Avantgarde trim with full airmatic, sat nav, memory seats, electric steering wheel adjustment, etc. What I really like about it is the comfort; my regular 200 mile commute is a doddle thanks to the smooth engine, soft suspension, big fat tyres and automatic everything. Plus when I want to press on down the lanes, it has plenty of go and handles well. At a venerable 14 years old with 210,000 miles it is still smart enough and reliable, but there are some big-ish bills looming and it is worth very little. Soon running costs will outstrip its value, so time to change.

I've set myself a replacement budget of £15 to £20K, which should buy a later W212, likely an E350. Ideally, I want the same as I have now, but newer, with the emphasis on big, floaty and comfortable.

I'm a bit worried that I might be looking for a unicorn, though. What I think I want is:-
  • E350
  • 9-speed auto
  • SE / premium or premium plus trim (not sure how ride firmness compares with the AMG spec?)
  • 17" wheels with sensible tyres
  • Proper black leather
  • Silver or grey paintwork
  • Electrically adjustable steering column
  • Real world economy is currently about 38 mpg on average, better would be a nice bonus :)
Most of the vehicles coming up in the searches are AMG night edition with huge wheels rubber band tyres, none close by so I can do a test drive / comparison.

What should I set my AutoTrader search for?

Thanks in advance for your help, folks.

If you're wanting a newer updated style ignore me.
Consider spending on keeping it as healthy and useful as it has been.

Better the devil you know and all that.
On saying that you've promoted the sale well enough, just colour and price missing really.

Thanks for the complement, though I really wasn't trying to flog it! That said, it does have a full service history so if you want to make me an offer I can't refuse....

I think it might take a while to find the right one to replace it with, hence starting now.

I've just had a look and using the drop down bit for model designation you can select SE or Avantgarde etc. The closest I could find to what you want means going down to a 220 197bhp with 9G and reasonable size tyres. I'm wondering if the 350 has bigger brakes so you have less choice?

Tempting but I couldn't justify swapping from my 2.1 123k miles and no DPF is a lot of a bonus.

S212 350CDI with full Airmatic are a bit rare but they do come up every now and again, epxecially on the pre-facleift form. 17 inch wheels are a bit rarer as well, so with even larger wheels, Airmatic does do wonders.

How about a nice CLS Shooting Brake?

Thanks for the complement, though I really wasn't trying to flog it! That said, it does have a full service history so if you want to make me an offer I can't refuse....

I think it might take a while to find the right one to replace it with, hence starting now.
@Gipsyracer I had a look on AT and I see what you mean about looking for a unicorn. All those cars with rubber band tyres don't look attractive to me if ride comfort is a priority.

It's good that you are starting early (I also took my time to find my W205, I think it was 3 months of waiting until 2 unicorns were available at the same time (I only wanted to buy a car which had the Driver Assistance Package option which seems to be super rare on any W205) and then 2 cars newly listed at different MB dealers had that option.

The first drove weird and needed some interior repairs, but the second was mint and it's the one I still have 3 years later. I didn't hesitate to buy it. Our time as buyers is "money" too. Best of luck!

Very nice, exactly what I want, but with a big boot please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom