W211 Reversing Rear Camera Options ? (Handle / Number Plate Light / Number Plate Surround)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pmcgsmurf

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55 AMG W211, E250 Sport W212, (and some Imps)
Anyone fitted a reversing camera to a W211 and got any suggestions/experience?

1. I can't seem to find one that fits on the boot lid rear handle like on other models so this doesn't seem to be an option.

2. Don't like the idea of replacing one of the number plate lights with a camera due to this being more off centre and then having the number plate only lit on one side.

3. So I was thinking one of the number plate surrounds would be the way to go?

I’ve never really looked into this but the factory reversing camera on my 212 is fitted off centre but the image you get on the screen is still centred properly.

The ones built into the plate holders look a bit naff IMHO.

Is there no other way of attaching one somewhere next to the number plate light under the chrome strip - they’re quite small and would be almost invisible I’d have thought up there :)

I’ve never really looked into this but the factory reversing camera on my 212 is fitted off centre but the image you get on the screen is still centred properly.

Yes, the W212 OEM is just off centre in the Handle Strip, doing this to the W212 too with OEM form Comand Online.

The ones built into the plate holders look a bit naff IMHO.

I thought they looked quite neat and can be had for less than £20, maybe that was my attraction. ;)

Is there no other way of attaching one somewhere next to the number plate light under the chrome strip - they’re quite small and would be almost invisible I’d have thought up there :)

I've not really looked, will have a look later, guess I could just drill and install there but the idea of not drilling the boot lid was attractive then again I'd still have to drill for the wiring.

Not seen any OEM types for the W211 which would have been way to go.

Just a thought could you not put it into one of the Holes for the Rear PDC, or make a additional hole for it?

What about this one?
Backup Handle Car Camera for Mercedes Benz E Class W210 W211 W212 C207 W207 E200 8789235168069 | eBay

The price is ridiculous though, I paid a third of that for mine, although I fitted a hi-res Sony CCD camera into the mount myself (removed the standard one it came with):

40865830241_29bb15f31d_o.jpg

Just a thought could you not put it into one of the Holes for the Rear PDC, or make a additional hole for it?
I had one fitted like that in my old W168 - in line with parking sensors, right in the middle of the bumper. The view wasn't as good as the current one though:

old:
38587147072_68f2d7c6c2_c.jpg

new:
26252682537_5301d05952_o.jpg

I had one of these fitted to the CLS , it fits behind the registration plate and is pretty discreet and gives a good picture on the NTG 2.5.

The hole required for the wiring is tiny which was one of the reasons i bought it.

20180501_203257 by Kenny Niven, on Flickr

20170429_172541[1] by Kenny Niven, on Flickr

I bought two when i did the job , just in case , so i still have one lying (boxed) in the garage that you can have FOC if you want it.

Where abouts in Scotland are you ?

Kenny

What about this one?
Backup Handle Car Camera for Mercedes Benz E Class W210 W211 W212 C207 W207 E200 8789235168069 | eBay

The price is ridiculous though, I paid a third of that for mine, although I fitted a hi-res Sony CCD camera into the mount myself (removed the standard one it came with):

Thanks, that's very neat and is the kind of thing I'm after, what's that fitted too?

I can't see how that would fit to the W211 handle though, the W211 does not have those 2 x lugs for the bolts as far as I can remember. Maybe have to strip this down for a look first before I decide.

Just checked over on Aliexpress where they are a lot cheaper as would be expected.

Reactions: GLK

I've not got any PDC on the old W211, I like the idea of it higher up as we sometimes pull a car trailer with this one and it would be handy for backing up to the towing hitch.

@pmcgsmurf

Which COMAND do you have? I would also be interested in fitting one to mine, but not sure how to make it work with NTG1.

Reactions: GLK
I had one of these fitted to the CLS , it fits behind the registration plate and is pretty discreet and gives a good picture on the NTG 2.5.

The hole required for the wiring is tiny which was one of the reasons i bought it.

I bought two when i did the job , just in case , so i still have one lying (boxed) in the garage that you can have FOC if you want it.

Where abouts in Scotland are you ?

Thanks Kenny that's a very generous offer, I'm over in Stirling.

That's also a very neat solution but take it the camera can't be angled down (I'd like it looking down a bit for the trailer hitch)?

Thanks, that's very neat and is the kind of thing I'm after, what's that fitted to?

It's fitted to my A200 Coupé (C169 2006).
I replaced the chrome tailgate handle with a brand new facelift model.
The camera module replaces the standard boot open button - it is used pretty much across the range for 2008-2011 or so models.
The only thing that changes is the angle of the camera - hence two variants in the link above - I suppose the more protruding one would be for saloon and the smaller one - for the estate.
You'd need to take the handle off to fit it, of course.

I can't see how that would fit to the W211 handle though, the W211 does not have those 2 x lugs for the bolts as far as I can remember. Maybe have to strip this down for a look first before I decide.

Yes, however it is fitted to the boot lid, it's got to come out for the cam to be fitted.

Just checked over on Aliexpress where they are a lot cheaper as would be expected.

Yes, I bought mine from AliExpress too - a year ago they didn't have this model with hi-res Sony CCD 1000TV lines cameras, so I DIY it, but they since made their way into various mounts categories, so just a straightforward fit - great.

@pmcgsmurf

Which COMAND do you have? I would also be interested in fitting one to mine, but not sure how to make it work with NTG1.

I've got NTG2.5 in the old W211 so it's an "easy" option, already been enabled and tested with a small camera source, now just have to fit the actual camera to the rear.

Not sure it's possible on NTG1 though?

Thanks Kenny that's a very generous offer, I'm over in Stirling.

That's also a very neat solution but take it the camera can't be angled down (I'd like it looking down a bit for the trailer hitch)?

The support for the camera lens can be "tweeked" by hand to sit at whatever angle you desire. I had it screwed onto the metal behind the reg plate and a 5mm hole was all that was required to get the wiring into the boot. Another option would be to bond it to the rear of the reg plate which would prevent drilling into the metalwork of the car.

The offer is there if you want me to post it to you on Monday as it is no good to me lying in the garage.

Kenny

Abs - fairly sure that an NTG1 has no input for a camera - has to be NTG2.5 or something from another manufacturer.

Thanks Gordon, I feared that would be the case. :)

It's fitted to my A200 Coupé (C169 2006).
I replaced the chrome tailgate handle with a brand new facelift model.
The camera module replaces the standard boot open button - it is used pretty much across the range for 2008-2011 or so models.
The only thing that changes is the angle of the camera - hence two variants in the link above - I suppose the more protruding one would be for saloon and the smaller one - for the estate.
You'd need to take the handle off to fit it, of course.

Thanks, sort of like the W212 then where the strip has to be replaced for the correct type with the hole.

Yes, however it is fitted to the boot lid, it's got to come out for the cam to be fitted.

I'll strip this later and have a look to see if it looks like it will fit.

Just asked the seller if it fits this car but got a "please send picture of problem" reply. ;)

Yes, I bought mine from AliExpress too - a year ago they didn't have this model with hi-res Sony CCD 1000TV lines cameras, so I DIY it, but they since made their way into various mounts categories, so just a straightforward fit - great.

£20 from Aliexpress can't be bad if it fits, I've had the car since 2004 so another month won't be a problem. :)

The support for the camera lens can be "tweeked" by hand to sit at whatever angle you desire. I had it screwed onto the metal behind the reg plate and a 5mm hole was all that was required to get the wiring into the boot. Another option would be to bond it to the rear of the reg plate which would prevent drilling into the metalwork of the car.

The offer is there if you want me to post it to you on Monday as it is no good to me lying in the garage.

Thanks Kenny, very kind, let me see what I find first as I'd hate to take it just for the same of it and not use it.
I've a lot of mates like that, they will take "anything" if it's free even if they never ever will use it. ;)

Looks like that one is a red herring on a W211 unless I'm missing something very obvious.

Just stripped down the boot lid and removed the handle, on the W211 (2004 model) it looks like this.

20181027_134137.jpg
20181027_134149.jpg

On the handle for the W211 it operates a microswitch to trigger the latch as well as being connected to the barrel lock, when this is unlocked it also pulls the cable that goes to the latch so the boot can be opened when the battery is flat.

On these other ones it looks like they are electronic only so does not look like there would be any possibility to use one of the handle types with the camera on the W211.

Looks like that one is a red herring on a W211 unless I'm missing something very obvious.
You're right, something is off - here's the brand new OEM handle, which was replaced by my camera:

31715484628_fcf64854b3_o.jpg

31715484888_b2b2050aa4_o.jpg

It's hard to make it out, but the part number is 221 870 24 10

It's a 2-pin socket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom