W211 Roof Strip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

masqueraid

Car
E220 CDi & A170CDi
The offside roof strip (the one that runs front-to-back wit the points for attaching a roof rack) has suddenly decided to lift at the back of the E220.

It looks for all the world as if some kind of clip has failed but I can see anything broken. It just obstinately refuses to go back down and springs back up about 1/2" from where it should be :mad:.

Is this an easy fix? What's happened? Do I need to get a new strip?

Going to risk bumping this ...

Any ideas on how I get this strip to go back where it should go?

roof.jpg
Thanks

Had this problem & it was really annoying , when you go down the motorway it starts to crack & lift from the clips. Try to straighten the strip as much as possible as the end should tuck under & hook on, then just firmly but with caution(don't want to break strip, tump it down with a rubber mallet but putting some old cloth in between the strip & mallet. I used an old blanket & cheated by taking the strip up to a good clip & then applying some Tiger Seal to the underside of strip. Only do this if you are sure you will not be using a roof box etc as the Tiger Seal is like Rhino snot & will not let go! Or you could buy some new clips ...:thumb:

THanks, that was helpful. Bought the Tiger Seal but when I lifted the strip to clean it out found both the broken clip (pictured) and another intact clip just behind the rear rack mounting point so I've just moved the good one back and it seems to be doing a perfect job of holding everything in place. Just needed to prise off the metal clip from the rail strip and it simply clicks into place.

Now need to see if I can use the Tiger Seal to replace/repair some of the perished window rubbers on the A-Class' quarterlights :)

Thanks for your help

Busted clip:
AF8Yc3E.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom