W211 SBC Brake System - Has mine been replaced previously?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barnsey2018

Car
2003 Mercedes E500, Rover 75 2.5 V6, Mazda MX5 NC GT
Hi all,

I own a 2003 Mercedes E500 (W211) that has SBC fitted. Being in New Zealand, we get a lot of Japanese imports and as such, my one is one too (although its been in NZ for much of its life).

Its been completely trouble free, and a brilliant car over the last few years, but something I was never sure about was whether my SBC system has been previously replaced (as part of the recall a few years back).

99% of Japanese imports don't come with service history information (what use is it in Japanese anyway), so I don't have any information to go by.

Is there any way to tell if my W211 has the revised SBC version fitted? Surely MB Dealers would have to be able to tell whether it is a revised or recalled model? Could the model number on the pump assist in any way?

Any help is much appreciated :).

Thanks in advance,
Barney

Have a look at the seriel number on the sbc pump . bottom right corner . what is it ?

Hi "OneForTheRoad",

The bottom right corner has an ID:1029080409. It also has what is presumably a Mercedes part number on it too: 0 265 960 036.

I've attached photos of the SBC unit - in-case the other numbers help.

Thanks
20180501_165140.jpg 20180501_165212.jpg

Have a look at the seriel number on the sbc pump . bottom right corner . what is it ?

Date stamp (05) 2005 so looks like its not the original but still old.

Hi "merc85".

Thanks for the heads up :), must've been replaced then (as it is an 03 build).

Good to hear though ;), as didn't the revised SBC units have a longer lifespan than the former? Something like 200,000 actuations against 400,000 for the revised part?

It has done 70,000 miles as of now, how often do they need to be replaced - do you reckon it might need replacing soon?

Thanks!

Its stamped on the top in the metal. Next to the right brake pipe.

According to the Bosch Manufacturing Date Code document, the manufacturing date of my SBC pump is apparently July 2008 (887)? Would be awesome if someone could chime in and confirm if 2008 is indeed the manufacture date ;) - just trying to be sure that mine has been replaced.

Thanks!

My SBC Unit Photos:
20180501_225409.jpg
20180501_225350.jpg
Bosch SBC manufacturing codes.JPG
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Great thanks "AMGeed".

A little off topic but if I may, how often does the SBC unit have to be replaced? i.e. Am I possibly due for an expensive bill in the near future (on 70,000 miles)?..

Any input is much appreciated.

More input:- A STAR machine can see how many brake operations the current system has made and hence how many it has left before the big $ sign appears in the display.

But you have no way of knowing when counter is full because system is monitoring several parameters and triggering counter value level according them. My W211 had over 500k in counter when my wife totaled it... but it has been reported even as low as 200k operations when service level has been triggered.

My old W211 was registered February 2004.

It's never had the SBC pump replaced.

Number on the top is "584" dating it as April 2005!

What am I missing?

LOL

there was a recall if I remember right... and it may be changed without owners knowing... BUT I have never been able to verify that Bosch list

If you get the white message on the dash to visit the workshop and the is a Star code C249F I believe its possible to reset the counter for further brake actuations using Star. I doubt main dealer would agree to do this however.:p
0ac16c814ac8b703c8338e207118.jpg

But if you get the message in red, I understand its a new pump?

20151125_154254_resized.jpg

I doubt main dealer would agree to do this however.
They should as it was an official MB operation. After a few years MB recognised they had set the limit rather conservatively and officially extended the count.
Obviously this is a once only thing.

If you get the white message on the dash to visit the workshop and the is a Star code C249F I believe its possible to reset the counter for further brake actuations using Star. I doubt main dealer would agree to do this however.:p
View attachment 76433

But if you get the message in red, I understand its a new pump?

View attachment 76434

If you get the red message then you’re ****ed! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom