W211 Sbc codes, Brake fluid leak???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB007

Car
E220 CDI
Guys before l go down the route of booking the in for a SBC, would a leaking break pipe cause the SBC unit to stop working?
The car currently has the red Reduced braking sign and beeping warning as you would expect.
I have had no error warnings regarding the SBC come up?

Car being collected tomorrow! Hoping its the leaking pipe that has stopped the sbc working, repair, bleed on STAR and no warning signs would be good.......then im getting rid of the hunk of junk!!! Never thought l'd say that about a mint condition Mercedes Benz:dk: with 62k on the clock!

So it is a "hunk of junk" in "mint condition"?:dk:

Junk in the way of very weak electrics, ticking SBC time bomb etc, Pretty on the outside but very questionable below the skin....had four MB's but this model just limps from one fault to the other. Lost all faith in it and just sits in the garage, mainly MB's, and we use the trusty Ford SMax that's never missed a beat in 7 years.
Not MB finest hour!

Hi,
Just read you response to another thread on SBC/BRAKES--@ 10.53 pm on the 6th March

"" Just done the reluctor rings my 2004 62k on the clock...nothing left of the rings so the sensors couldn't read anything hence the error, £210 inc £20 for both rings direct from MB. ""
Is this the result of your Initial post on this thread about your "visit workshop " warning lights coming on and your thoughts of a leaky brake pipe??
It just seems so a low mileage for the Reluctor rings to be worn out in such a tragic way and I wonder whether the mileage on your car has been tampered with, or is this as result of just not using the car. My 320 now has 221K on it and have just looked through its comprehensive service history and see that they have never "as yet " been replaced. Your car is not even yet "run in" @ 62K let alone wearing out.
Regards Steve.

62k looks very suspect to me for that amount of wear and problems so early.

Lets hope the leak is a simple fix.

SBC isn't such a problem as many make out, they can be replaced fairly cheaply these days compared to other manufacturers ABS and braking systems.
BTW Fords famous clutch slave cylinder that leaks all over your feet possibly causing an accident when your brake/clutch fluid soaked feet slip off the pedals is fun huh.
I have had to replace those as they come to 40,000 miles as a point of safety on over 30 customer vehicles I look after.

:)

absolutely, I have wrote this earlier in couple of places; one Finnish forum member got his SBC unit replaced under warranty. Short after that, rear brake pipe went broken, and new SBC unit triggered a fault - no chance to reset but new unit required - at 100% owners cost... :doh:

absolutely, I have wrote this earlier in couple of places; one Finnish forum member got his SBC unit replaced under warranty. Short after that, rear brake pipe went broken, and new SBC unit triggered a fault - no chance to reset but new unit required - at 100% owners cost... :doh:

Hmmm seriously.....

Hi,
Just read you response to another thread on SBC/BRAKES--@ 10.53 pm on the 6th March

"" Just done the reluctor rings my 2004 62k on the clock...nothing left of the rings so the sensors couldn't read anything hence the error, £210 inc £20 for both rings direct from MB. ""
Is this the result of your Initial post on this thread about your "visit workshop " warning lights coming on and your thoughts of a leaky brake pipe??
It just seems so a low mileage for the Reluctor rings to be worn out in such a tragic way and I wonder whether the mileage on your car has been tampered with, or is this as result of just not using the car. My 320 now has 221K on it and have just looked through its comprehensive service history and see that they have never "as yet " been replaced. Your car is not even yet "run in" @ 62K let alone wearing out.
Regards Steve.
Hi,
Thanks for your reply regarding the failures l have had. The history with all matching bills & receipts & service records from the same local MB dealer is genuine...its in time warp condition inside & out.
The service history shows a SBC update carried out in 2008 but as its 2004 MB Germany will not do a Goodwill claim if the SBC unit needs replaced.
The car is being collected Monday all being well so if the leak can be sorted & sbc reset on STAR l will be happy.....otherwise its £1065 + vat to replace sbc unit....indie's quoting the same or more.
Really want to trust the car again & like it again.

62k looks very suspect to me for that amount of wear and problems so early.

Lets hope the leak is a simple fix.

SBC isn't such a problem as many make out, they can be replaced fairly cheaply these days compared to other manufacturers ABS and braking systems.
BTW Fords famous clutch slave cylinder that leaks all over your feet possibly causing an accident when your brake/clutch fluid soaked feet slip off the pedals is fun huh.
I have had to replace those as they come to 40,000 miles as a point of safety on over 30 customer vehicles I look after.

:)
Hi, Ref Ford, cars done 78k without fault so far just service part, breaks,disc's, drop links etc..normal stuff.

Ref . Merc, have all history, bills,receipts, and same lady owner for 10+ years & Vosa history too so l know its all correct, even the drivers seat looks like its never been sat in lol... but at the same time disappointing. Hopefully once this work is complete l will begin to relax and enjoy it again! can't beat the ride quality.

Last edited:
Update, they have found a corroded pipe, drivers side, wheel arch, the shoulder has rusted through...getting both sides replaced tomorrow sometime....see what happens once fixed & bled via Star etc..

To answer my own question lol....Yes a leaking/corroded brake pipe would cause SBC failure codes etc.... Pity two indie's couldn't answer the question and of MB stealers just wanted to replace everything!
My local mechanic replaced the pipe, bled the system (star), cleared the faults for the grand total of £40!!!!
Now fault free & driving perfect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom