W211 SBC pressure pump advice/ help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kdh

Car
E Class 320cdi Estate
Hi folks,

My garage have just called to say that they cannot clear the brake warning light because the SBC unit has reached its capacity and needs replacing - cost £1000 plus labour.

Out of the question for me right now, but can I drive the car with this error light on?

Is it safe?

The garage didn't know one way or the other. Many thanks for any help.

E 320 cdi e class estate w211 2004 (just had new brake pads,sensors,check over , mot etc, £1500 bill)

Have a read of this thread.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/whee...on/189273-w211-possible-sbc-pump-failure.html

If you do some of the legwork yourself the pump can be had for around £650 plus a couple of hrs fitting at an MB indy. You will; have to send your old pump back for a refund .

If you have the red warning on your dash, DO NOT DRIVE the car. I wouldn't advise what to do if the warning is in white. Personally, its your brakes and I wouldn't drive at all.

The last option to reset the SBC pump is if you have the fault code C249F. With the use of STAR, it may be possible to reset the number of actuations. You need an MB indy for this.
Where are you located so someone can advise a nearby indy for you.

Is the warning white or red?
White, you can drive it but the chances of it going red without warning are high and you have very little braking when it does.
Has the garage used Star to try and reset the system?
Ask them how many actuations the pump has done. If they cannot tell you then they do not know how to use Star.
If not get it to one that has Star and knows how to use it.

SBC pumps cost around £500.

Thanks for the replies.

Warning light is White.

The garage was my local one and not an Indy, so they probably don't have the Star system.

I'm located in East Grinstead, East Sussex. RH18.

I have full Mercedes Service history up until about three years ago. Do you think a Main dealer would sort this for me even though I'm out of warranty? Is it worth even trying?

I'm totally broke after my latest bill.

Are you certain it is SBC related?
The white warning could be as simple as a brake light switch (£12 fix).
Find a local indy with Star and speak to them about it.
A Star session should be less than £50 and that will pinpoint the problem.

There is Wayne Gates in Harrow and Olly in Portsmouth. Both are members here and well respected.

I have full Mercedes Service history up until about three years ago. Do you think a Main dealer would sort this for me even though I'm out of warranty? Is it worth even trying?

I'm totally broke after my latest bill.

Absolutely not worth trying. MB were withdrawing support for SBC related issues some years ago, your car is 13 years old and has no full MB history.

The SBC unit (if as stated this is your problem)is no different to other mechanical parts in terms of it wears out and needs replacing if faulty.

As suggested, get it to someone with Star and get a proper diagnosis.

Good luck.

As I feared, the pump is defective and cannot be replaced.

It's going to be around £1500 inc fitting and VAT.

What a pleasant surprise.

As I feared, the pump is defective and cannot be replaced.

It's going to be around £1500 inc fitting and VAT.

What a pleasant surprise.

Whats the Bosch part number on the pump?

Last time I looked the pump is about £600 to buy so £1500 fitted sounds more like a main dealer price.

Whats the Bosch part number on the pump?

Two numbers:

A 005 431 33 12 Q1

0 265 250 075

The guy who came to look at for me said it would be around £1000 ex fitting which would include a Mercedes 2-year guarantee. He mentioned that exchange ones were available but there was only about £100-150 difference between them and a Mercedes one and that he'd rather use OEM.

Nice helpful guy offering a fully mobile service, see my previous link for any of you around this East Sussex area.

Last edited:
+1 on what AMGeed says.
Once the system has been disabled and depressurised with Star it is a simple spanner job.
Bleeding and recommissioning the system is controlled by Star and you need a pressure bleeding system fitted to the reservoir.
As long as you follow the procedure on Star it is a fairly simple process.

Ive crossed your number and the one in the link should be correct

0 265 250 075 / New number 0 986 483 002

Many thanks, but it's saying this item does not fit the chosen vehicle? Crossed my number, does that mean I had an old part number?

Would you be kind enough to check for me? Sorry to ask.

2004 320 CDI E Class Estate Reg P66 CAR
Part number on existing sbc: 0 265 250 075

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom