W211 SBC pressure pump advice/ help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just checked on the page merc85 referenced and yours is listed in the matching vehicles section.

You are being bent over on the price for the pump.

Its about 2hrs labour to fit, so that indy has a very healthy labour rate:doh:

Most places are quoting min 4 - 5 hours labour.

How would you go about querying this without upsetting the garage?

Last edited:
ask for a look at the time and motion booklet they are using as a guide.

Am I right in assuming that if the SBC pump has a yellow Bosch sticker with part number on it, the original OEM unit has been replaced?

Am I right in assuming that if the SBC pump has a yellow Bosch sticker with part number on it, the original OEM unit has been replaced?

Dont think so bud, my 2003 e320 cdi was still on its 1st pump, that had a yellow label.

My 2002 e55k had had a Pump in 2005 and that still has the yellow label.

Cheers mate. Anyway of confirming it's been replaced, without paperwork?

Sorry for the hijack op

This has been posted elsewhere before, but its worth doing again. As above, original and replacement pumps both have the yellow label.

Clicking the link I posted above and going to item details shows the part number you listed. If you click on that it brings up the new part number of 0 986 483 002
Call or email them to confirm it will fit.

Regarding time taken to fit a new pump, I am going on a post from a member who took his car to Terry at W Gates in Harrow and that is the time he took to do the job.

Here is a link to his thread. An interesting read.
W211 possible SBC pump failure - MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts

THIS is a list of Bosch date codes. One of these numbers will be on your existing SBC pump.

To find the corresponding number, look at the following photo and the first number in B (490 in the pic below) is the one to check against the above list to see when it was manufactured.

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachme...3d1219795018-scary-experience-sbc_replace.jpg

Just a note, the pumps do vary in price a little depending on the Part number,

The cost through my UK Wholesaler is £652 plus vat and £70 plus vat Old unit surcharge
for the Op's unit.

Folks, I have been trying to contact this place for 4 days now and no replies.

Does anyone know of another source for this pump please?

Many thanks.

Drop merc85 a PM.He can source one for you at the price advised in Post #29

Have you tried emailing the German company for the pump or phoning?

Okay thanks.

Tried emailing, will try phoning.

This has been posted elsewhere before, but its worth doing again. As above, original and replacement pumps both have the yellow label.

Clicking the link I posted above and going to item details shows the part number you listed. If you click on that it brings up the new part number of 0 986 483 002
Call or email them to confirm it will fit.

Regarding time taken to fit a new pump, I am going on a post from a member who took his car to Terry at W Gates in Harrow and that is the time he took to do the job.

Here is a link to his thread. An interesting read.
W211 possible SBC pump failure - MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts

THIS is a list of Bosch date codes. One of these numbers will be on your existing SBC pump.

To find the corresponding number, look at the following photo and the first number in B (490 in the pic below) is the one to check against the above list to see when it was manufactured.

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachme...3d1219795018-scary-experience-sbc_replace.jpg

This is a really interesting thread for a newbie. The pump on my 54 plate car is 490, so must be the original pump. The car has done 179k miles now. Would that suggest to you that my SBC pump is at the end of it's life???

Last edited:
This is a really interesting thread for a newbie. The pump on my 54 plate car is 490, so must be the original pump. The car has done 179k miles now. Would that suggest to you that my SBC pump is at the end of it's life???

The life of the pump is based on operational cycles not mileage. It will depend on the vehicles former use, lots of stop / start driving will mean more pump operations.

The car has done 179k miles now. Would that suggest to you that my SBC pump is at the end of it's life???

It could go at any minute.

There is a way to check it on Star I understand.

However, when I last investigated on my previous E55 on Star, all that could be found was some counter with a massive number for "max duty cycles" or similar and the current value was on about a quarter of it. That was on a 54 plate with 102,000 miles on it. So my guess is that pump is still going unless the pump itself has failed.

I would speak to Wright Tech in Sidcup as well as the place in Mereworth - shop around to find out what you are looking at.

It probably seems bleak at this stage with the bills you have had and this one you are facing, but you are running an older £40k > £45k car with a few years under it's belt. These cars are worth the pain in the end as they are great when working correctly!

Okay thanks.

Tried emailing, will try phoning.

Note i've not received any Pm on here or email, The Price i quoted was "my cost" at wholesaler.

I think there is a way that the counter can be read via "Star" to see what life is left till the counter limit is reached.

Last edited:
Helpful!

Or, it may last some time.

Wasn't trying to be unhelpful.

It's fact though. It could go at any time, so my Mercedes mechanic tells me. Mine had 147k on it and had the recalls done. Previous 1 owner was mostly motorway driving. It's all the luck of the draw.

Helpful!

Or, it may last some time.

Note i've not received any Pm on here or email, The Price i quoted was "my cost" at wholesaler.

I think there is a way that the counter can be read via "Star" to see what life is left till the counter limit is reached.

I was referring to the German company from the link who I have finally had a reply from. They are not especially helpful and I still don't know if the price is for an exchange unit or not.

What is 'my cost' at wholesaler? Do you sell these yourself? i.e. can I buy one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom