W211 SBC pump failure - replacement in Herts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tomw

Car
'04 E500 estate
Hi
I had my SBC pump go in spectacular fashion last week (red dash at 50-60mph approaching a roundabout...)

I replaced the brake switch but no improvement so I got my carsoft scanner on it and it says it's an SBC pump internal failure. (C26F5 and A7/3n1 - SBC Control Unit Internal Fault)

I've been trying to get hold of Welwyn Merx as the car is currently in St Albans. I can't get through to them however.

Is there anyone else near St Albans (within limping range) who has STAR and can replace an SBC pump for me? I need the car fixed ASAP as I'm in the process of moving house and need a car(!)...

Thanks

I should add that there was a second code:

C23CE - Test Ground Connection to Component A7/3(Traction System Hydraulic Unit)

In case that's relevant (either here or for someone Googling in future)

Other info: I didn't get the white ABS/ESP error before getting the red dash. Well, I did, but the white warning only lasted for about 5s before it went away. This was around 30mins before it failed totally.

I had a couple of occasions recently where I couldn't put the car in park, or take it out of drive and into reverse, unless I turned the ignition on / off first.

The temporary blip of the ABS warning coupled with the shifter misbehaving led me to think this was an electrical error, eg brake switch, rather than anything more serious. I guess it's possible the brake switch I bought from GSF on Saturday is the wrong part, although it looks identical to the Merc one that came off the car, or it's broken?

There was a class action lawsuite here in the US that forced Mercedes Benz to cover these pumps under warranty for 25 years from the date of manufacturers. I've already replaced the pump in my CDI under warranty. You might want to call MB corporate and see what your options are.

There was a class action lawsuite here in the US that forced Mercedes Benz to cover these pumps under warranty for 25 years from the date of manufacturers. I've already replaced the pump in my CDI under warranty. You might want to call MB corporate and see what your options are.
Not a chance in the UK.
We are treated pretty shoddily when it comes to extended warranties on SBC and fuel pumps for just an example.

Hi
I had my SBC pump go in spectacular fashion last week (red dash at 50-60mph approaching a roundabout...)

I replaced the brake switch but no improvement so I got my carsoft scanner on it and it says it's an SBC pump internal failure. (C26F5 and A7/3n1 - SBC Control Unit Internal Fault)

I've been trying to get hold of Welwyn Merx as the car is currently in St Albans. I can't get through to them however.

Is there anyone else near St Albans (within limping range) who has STAR and can replace an SBC pump for me? I need the car fixed ASAP as I'm in the process of moving house and need a car(!)...

Thanks
Wayne Gates , Harrow any good for you ?

Wayne Gates , Harrow any good for you ?
Thanks, managed to get hold of Welwyn Merx in the end and limped it over to them this morning. SBC pumps have got expensive haven't they? o_O

Thanks, managed to get hold of Welwyn Merx in the end and limped it over to them this morning. SBC pumps have got expensive haven't they? o_O
There is a chap in Basingstoke who is the best in the business at refurbing sbc pumps.. jonny sbc repair

Refurb isnt too bad.....

Thanks. My pump has already been rebuilt once, some time last year I think according to the car's history file.

edit: Actually I just found the invoice and I'd mis-remembered. It was done 3 months ago - right before I bought the car(!)

Last edited:
Thanks. My pump has already been rebuilt once, some time last year I think according to the car's history file.

edit: Actually I just found the invoice and I'd mis-remembered. It was done 3 months ago - right before I bought the car(!)
Where was it done? Should be getting lot longer on a refurb..

I won't name them here because I don't know the full story, so it's not fair, but I'll see if I can pursue the warranty route before buying a new pump.

There is a chap in Basingstoke who is the best in the business at refurbing sbc pumps.. jonny sbc repair
Last heard he was not answering calls or messages and had a customers SBC pump in his possession.
Could be many reasons why, but not good to be unable to contact him.
He is in Mitcham S London too.

Last heard he was not answering calls or messages and had a customers SBC pump in his possession.
Could be many reasons why, but not good to be unable to contact him.
He is in Mitcham S London too.
I spoke to him last year, he said he had moved to Basingstoke however I didn't go ahead with the refurb.. so no idea what's going with him now..

I spoke to him last year, he said he had moved to Basingstoke however I didn't go ahead with the refurb.. so no idea what's going with him now..
Fair enough.

Thought I'd better provide some closure here.

I couldn't get hold of the firm who'd done the refurb (that I still won't name as I don't think it's fair given no ability for them to reply) so I stumped up for an eye-wateringly expensive 'new' pump from Mercedes. Which had to come from Germany as there weren't any in the UK.

Welwyn Merx did the work and I was impressed with them.

Thought I'd better provide some closure here.

I couldn't get hold of the firm who'd done the refurb (that I still won't name as I don't think it's fair given no ability for them to reply) so I stumped up for an eye-wateringly expensive 'new' pump from Mercedes. Which had to come from Germany as there weren't any in the UK.

Welwyn Merx did the work and I was impressed with them.
Hi,
If you're happy to, would you mind saying how much the total bill came to?

I had them service the car too so the entire bill was slightly higher but the SBC items on the invoice were:

Pump: £1604
SBC fluid: £125
Labour: £150
Diagnosis and ancillaries (they changed earth straps and some hoses): ~£100

Plus the VAT.

Given the relatively low price I paid for the car, the fact it only has 100k on it, and how nice it is, I thought I'd spend the money and save it rather than throwing it away. Hopefully it's good for another 100,000 miles now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom