W211 Seam Sealer Fail - Water in Footwell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SL03WLY

Active Member
SUPPORTER
Joined
Dec 6, 2020
Messages
515
Location
South East, UK
Car
W211 03'
Hi,

I know I posted this on other threads. But wanted to create one seperate in case anyone in future encounters this as well.

I was getting water in the front footwell areas, so I done the following first:

Checked Sunrood Drains
Checked cowl hose goes into NS wing area
Check for water pooling up under the aux battery
Cleared any gunk out of those areas
The Drain Tube was already removed from below the Aux Battery

None of the above worked
So I got the Windscreen replaced but this also showed no signs of water entry.

Lastly I came across the below 2 threads:
- S211 Rain water leak into footwell - help finding point of ingress please | Bodywork
- 2009 E class Water Leak - MBWorld.org Forums

DTB File attached

So finally took it to a body shop and we done a pressure wash test. Which showed water coming in, when the pointed the pressure washer at the bottom left corner below the windscreen area, lo and behold, the video shows this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Once the wing was removed, you can see rust around the seam sealer. the Sealer itself was cracked. Fella at the body shop said it shouldn't be brittle or hard but have some feeling like rubber coating.

IMG_6451 - Copy.jpg

IMG_6452 - Copy.jpg
IMG_6447 - Copy.jpg

So We chiseled most of it off and removed rust with a wire brush.

IMG_6474.jpgIMG_6475.jpgIMG_6476.jpgIMG_6477.jpgIMG_6478.jpgIMG_6479.jpgIMG_6480.jpgIMG_6481.jpg

Followed by Zinc Primer and Matching paint.
IMG_6483.jpgIMG_6486.jpgIMG_6488.jpgIMG_6493.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 63.20_15-6.pdf
    499 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6485.jpg
    IMG_6485.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6484.jpg
    IMG_6484.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6487.jpg
    IMG_6487.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6494.jpg
    IMG_6494.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 0
The Seam Sealer, was done in 2 stages.

IMG_6497.jpg
IMG_6501.jpg
IMG_6502.jpg

1st we applied Starchem PU Black Sealer and using a caulking gun, then a brush to push it into any gaps and to spread it evenly.

Once that dried overnight, We applied another layer using a grey seam sealer with a brush also, slight overlapping the 1st sealer.
IMG_6504.jpg
IMG_6503.jpg

I couldn't get a picture of it but the hole behind the washer tank, we also applied the sealer there too on the edge (in blue)

1711917994067.png

Once cured, all was put back together and the last few nights of heavy rainfall show no sigs of water in the footwell now, nor is the windscreen steaming up on the inside.

Now I got to tackle the Driver Side too as the sealer here is peeling away and shows rust.

Thanks
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6497.jpg
    IMG_6497.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1
Updating. Done same to driver side now. It wasn’t as bad as passenger side but was still failing in areas where it completely lifted from the chassis.

1716320398509.jpeg
 
IMG_6721.jpg

dirt inside where the sunroof drain goes through

IMG_6722.jpg


IMG_6723.jpg

IMG_6727.jpgIMG_6728.jpgIMG_6729.jpg


This was this first layer,

but didnt take pictures of the second grey layer added on this.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6725.jpg
    IMG_6725.jpg
    650.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6724.jpg
    IMG_6724.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom