W211 Servicing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steveatki

My E220 CDI is telling me that it's first service is needed at 15250 miles, ie in appx 500 miles.
I have tried 2 Mercedes Garages one quoted £215 the other £195. I asked both which oil they used, both said they only use one oil which is a semi synth. The reason I raised this, was my apparently mistaken understanding that the service period was extended for fully synth. Both garages advised that the service period is not oil dependant and they have no way of installing fully synth oil.
What do you wise folks think of this? My previous car C230K only did appx 9000 before a service was needed and that was with semi synth, I hope that the service period doesn't reduce to that level for the E22O.

Mine always has Mobil 1, fully synthetic at the local M.B dealer. I get over 18,000 miles typically before a service is due. The most it went was 26,000 miles between services on one occaision!

My mate has a petrol CLK 320 and that dealer didnt use synthetic and like me he does all motorway miles and needs its next service under 11,000 miles currently.

Mine always has Mobil 1, fully synthetic at the local M.B dealer. I get over 18,000 miles typically before a service is due. The most it went was 26,000 miles between services on one occaision!

My mate has a petrol CLK 320 and that dealer didnt use synthetic and like me he does all motorway miles and needs its next service under 11,000 miles currently.

Well this is one post on the right track:):)

You seem to confirm what I think. However, I have had 4 cars over the last 5 years and for all services, except one, the car was filled with semi synth. Unfortunately the one dealer that used fully synth went into liquidation (all inappropriate puns resisted).

I have asked several times why fully synth isn't used and the answer has been that no one wishes to pay the extra. My suspicion is that they can get additional servicing sales by not using fully synth. I would provide my own oil if I thought I could guarantee that it would be installed (stand and watch?)

My service books were always stamped Mobil Super S 5/30

There is a very interesting thread on this very topic and I can confirm there is\was a way to program the service menu for it to recognise fully synthetic oil which will indeed prolong the service interval on the 211.

You might have to do a search as it is here somewhere.

regards
John

On the last service i was charged £105 for 8 litres of Mobil 1. This included 10% discount on parts that i get due to the age of the car. Even though its very expensive i still save more over time as it significantly extends the service intervals. They also include a spare 1/2 litre un-opended bottle in the boot should it need topping up before the next service. I usually dont need to top up but i does help to extend the interval even further as the new oil dilutes the old oil very slightly.

My E220 CDI is telling me that it's first service is needed at 15250 miles, ie in appx 500 miles.
I have tried 2 Mercedes Garages one quoted £215 the other £195. I asked both which oil they used, both said they only use one oil which is a semi synth. The reason I raised this, was my apparently mistaken understanding that the service period was extended for fully synth. Both garages advised that the service period is not oil dependant and they have no way of installing fully synth oil.
What do you wise folks think of this? My previous car C230K only did appx 9000 before a service was needed and that was with semi synth, I hope that the service period doesn't reduce to that level for the E22O.
The behaviour of these dealerships is just outrageous.

As others say, should really be Mobil 1 for extended service life. I'd always insist on Mobil 1 anyway even if I had no intention of extending time/miles.

I suspect both the dealers you spoke to are both part of the same group. Can you try another local dealer - preferably one which isn't part of the same group (or parent company)?

PS Whereabouts are you, and which dealers did you try?

There is a very interesting thread on this very topic and I can confirm there is\was a way to program the service menu for it to recognise fully synthetic oil which will indeed prolong the service interval on the 211.

You might have to do a search as it is here somewhere.

regards
John

Here ya go! http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13857

I too used 229.3 so am going to do this unless someone comes back and strongly advises otherwise!

There have been a number of threads about MB standardising on an interval between services and abandoning the Service Assist feature.

Service Assist still works on my car but it is reset to the mileage equivalent of 15,000km at every service.

BTW my local MB dealer (Tamworth) uses a low ash Mobil 1 oil. They say they standardised on this to avoid problems with diesels fitted with particulate filters. Only quoting here, not saying I believe them. ;)

There have been a number of threads about MB standardising on an interval between services and abandoning the Service Assist feature.

Service Assist still works on my car but it is reset to the mileage equivalent of 15,000km at every service.

BTW my local MB dealer (Tamworth) uses a low ash Mobil 1 oil. They say they standardised on this to avoid problems with diesels fitted with particulate filters. Only quoting here, not saying I believe them. ;)
If you look at the distances between services, oil changes etc on Mercedes commercial vehicles, you would be amazed. Before you say I am talking about big truck engines, I would respectfully suggest the Sprinterr has a similar engine to what goes into our cars, but is worked much harder.

I think the most important issue is to not go over the 2 year maximum time interval between services.

John

It's miles not Kms - my dealer sent me a card offering to switch my car to fixed interval. 12,500miles for A, B V12 & AMG models and 15,500 for all others - or 1 year, whichever is sooner.

My local dealer - MB Chester, part on the Inchcape group, advertises A Services for around £200 and B Services for around £300 (price varies a little bit depending on model) but they stress they only use Castrol SLX fully synth oil. If there's an Inchcape dealer within range, try them - they may all offer the same deal: http://www.inchcaperetail.co.uk/DealerLocator/Franchise.aspx?Franchise=Mercedes-Benz

The price dealers normally charge for oil is insane. I'm on ServicePlus now, but for my first service, a couple of years ago, the dealer told me they charge £12.95+VAT (£15.22) per litre for fully synth. So that's near as dammit £100 for the 6.5L I need. And I bet if the price has changed since then then it won't have changed downwards!

I took my own Motul MB229.5 bought from Opie Oils which cost around £30 and they cheerfully used it. From a business point of view I'm gobsmacked that they can just throw away so much profit - they didn't even sting me for an oil disposal charge.

Yep, when resetting the cluster, you choose whether you have used standard oil or MB spec XXXXXX oil, i.e fully synth... if you choose the second option the service interval is raised vastly.

W211 on an 06 plate (pre facelift) and I can't get the engineering menu up. Followed instructions in this thread and 'nowt happens! Anybody care to do Janet & John?

Many thanks

of the top of my head.. igntion on, get to where it tells you x until service and hold down reset button... menu will appear in a few secs..

of the top of my head.. igntion on, get to where it tells you x until service and hold down reset button... menu will appear in a few secs..

Nothing happens (except it flips to the temp. display) :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom