w211 - Setting Time When GPS Broken?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

orangeboy

Car
E320 CDI Avantgarde
Hi there,

Annoying little problem....

I had battery issues a while back, which caused my command head unit to break - therefore stopping the analogue dash clock at this time.

I have replaced the head unit, but my GPS antenna is on the blink, and so the clock cannot automatically re-set. The options to set the clock in the head unit only allow you to change in 30 mins increments- so it is permanently 15 mins slow!!

Is there a way around this silly problem? Other than disconnecting the battery, and risking further electrical issues?

I don´t want to fix the GPS at the moment, because I´ve already fixed it twice, and don´t rely on the Sat Nav anyway. I understand they have a reputation for breaking easily- as mine has proved!!

Thanks.

You should have the option to use the menu and up/down buttons on the steering wheel to bring up the convenience features which include resetting the time (time/date).

Instructions are in your user manual or even easier, follow the youtube guide below.

[YOUTUBE]/watch?v=ryF4mfnkJAo[/YOUTUBE]

Hi,

Problem is, my W211 doesn´t have time / date settings in the dashboard options. The only access to the clock, is through the Command unit- which only allows me to change the hour and minutes in 30 min increments.

Thanks.

Do not disconnect the battery, remove instrument cluster fuse if you want to use that trick at midnight.

If it is just a broken GPS antenna currently, you could install a retrofit antenna to the instrument cluster space. I'm sure comandonline sell those.

Another option is to version code the car to bring back the menu that allows manual time settings (and removes automatic sync from GPS).

Diesel Benz,

KIs there any information available for doing the Version Code change?

In my ML, it's only right for 6 months of the year because the Comand is an aftermarket refit and won't allow correction of the dashboard clock.... Removing the GPS Sync sounds like it would fix this problem...

Thanks for your reply, Diesel Benz.

Any idea which fuse controls the main dash? Can´t see it on the fuse diagram.

Would I need to take the fuse out for the Command unit at the same time? Doesn´t Command have a backup memory, and will simply adjust the clock to the old (incorrect) time when fuse back in?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, Diesel Benz.

Any idea which fuse controls the main dash? Can´t see it on the fuse diagram.

Would I need to take the fuse out for the Command unit at the same time? Doesn´t Command have a backup memory, and will simply adjust the clock to the old (incorrect) time when fuse back in?

Cheers.

A temporary solution at most but the IC has two fuses, C15 should not need to be removed (fuse #52), Circuit 30 fuse should be #64.

The cluster should not get any time from COMAND if the GPS antenna is broken.

F # 64 - Rotary Light Switch, more Is this correct?

And this fuse is in the engine bay?

Thanks

There are at least four different charts for a W211. I had a look at the facelift chart but fuse #64 should be the same for all:
Rotary light switch
Instrument cluster
Steering column N80
AAC control and operating module

This is for the Circuit 30 feed (permanent power), the cluster also has a Circuit 15 fuse, fuse #52. Ignition off and car in sleep should mean C15 off anyway.

Fuse numbers are unique, both 52 and 64 at the engine bay (I hope the numbers are the same for RHD cars).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom