W211 Speedo Scale Replacement - possible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeftBrain

Car
'03 E220 CDI, '85 300TD
New member here with an '03 E220 CDI in the states. Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome over in the new members forum.

Of course, I come with baggage, doesn't everyone?

My car was originally delivered in Belgium and so my analog speedo scale is in kmh. Digital speedo works fine reading out in mph but was wondering, if I could find an English cluster in mph, could I switch out the analog scales? Of course the workshop manual says the unit is unserviceable, but I think some of you here know better.

Does anybody 1.) have experience you could share in this area that might be relevant and/or 2.) have an English W211 speedo lying about that is otherwise trash that they would part with, or have an idea where I could find one?

124725272.oQef7VhU.jpg

LeftBrain
'03 E220 CDI
'85 300TD

The easiest way would probably be to replace the cluster. It should be possible to find a good, used one somewhere in the USA. Other than that, we have companies like Cluster repairs UK that would probably be able to help - maybe you have something similar over there?

Welcome aboard!

I bet an E220CDI is unique in the States! In fact I bet any CDI is, at best, unusual.

I think that you will struggle to find a suitable instrument binnacle in the States. Remember the diesels have a different tachometer scale than the petrols. And the USA doesn't do diesels!

Hopefully someone on here can provide an English spec one for you. Have a google for Mercedes car breakers in the UK.

Good luck!

Yeah, GordonTarling, pretty sure I could replace the cluster, but it seems like overkill for a scale change, plus I would miss the fun of doing the work. I think a cluster change would also require engaging a third party to code it with the mileage at additional cost. Getting it on a Star machine over here is not to be taken lightly.

Corned, when considering purchasing the car I searched the American club forum for the term E220 and came up with nothing, not a single hit.

Best thing would be if someone has an old cluster that was replaced due to defect with a matching style of speedo that I could salvage the scale from. A big question for me is whether the cluster can be disassembled and put back together without making a mess of it.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

LeftBrain
'03 E220 CDI
'85 300TD

I dont think that a second hand cluster would work in you car , there codes to the cars chassis .
We have at work changes cars from MPH to KPH , we use second hand clusters , but we strip down the clusters and change over the face pannel . Its not an easy task though .

to do it properly, you need a new cluster, and then have it coded by someone with STAR to your car, its a fairly straightforward process for someone who knows what they are doing.

to do it properly, you need a new cluster, and then have it coded by someone with STAR to your car, its a fairly straightforward process for someone who knows what they are doing.

You're right Alps, "to do it properly..." I should follow your steps and I may have to resort to that.

In the interim I think I can't loose by trying my own handy work because worst case is the installed cluster is scrap as it would be anyway if I had the work done by someone else.

What Shorty said was encouraging, as I have an extensive history as a professional technician in electronics and instrumentation, I might give it a go if I can find a W211 Elegance cluster that's been scrapped.

I appreciate your input.

LeftBrain
'03 E220 CDI
'85 300TD

You're right Alps, "to do it properly..." I should follow your steps and I may have to resort to that.

In the interim I think I can't loose by trying my own handy work because worst case is the installed cluster is scrap as it would be anyway if I had the work done by someone else.

What Shorty said was encouraging, as I have an extensive history as a professional technician in electronics and instrumentation, I might give it a go if I can find a W211 Elegance cluster that's been scrapped.

I appreciate your input.

LeftBrain
'03 E220 CDI
'85 300TD
hi

if it is just pixel problem, then id defo try the fix first, im sure there are some more posts on mbworld and the "other" forum

hi

if it is just pixel problem, then id defo try the fix first, im sure there are some more posts on mbworld and the "other" forum

Yeah, it's more than that. I actually want to slip out the kmh scale and replace it with an mph one.

LeftBrain
'03 E220 CDI
'85 300TD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom