W211 SRS light on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spera

Car
2002 E CLASS 270CDI AUTO AVANTGARDE
I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction thanks in advance spera.Had this problem before put it on star and it was the occupancy seat sensor, looking at Olly posts I decided to fit one myself Ian B Walker sourced me a sensor pad as I was being charged £270 vat at main dealer. Fitted part in november 2011 circa 9 months ago. I now have srs on dash again when someone sits in or has sat on the passenger seat just like 9 months ago.Just for reference car is used allot due to airport runs as taxi.
So before messing about, on the star it went = no issues.
So all I can think of is:
1, loose connection
2,connection needs cleaning = whats best product to use
3,seat sensor pad needs changing again hope not minimum £190 to £270 part and I didnt enjoy fixing it last time.
4,ive read contact spiral fault but i dont know if this applies to my w211.
5, also read the belt tensioner can be an issue = or is that for a different model
6, maybe the wiring to the sensor is fatigued.

as a side my indicator arm doesnt automatically go off when i turn steering i have to manually push indicator arm off, and occasionally the cruise control wont work. However this has been happening for over 6 months now so i dont think its related.

i would have thought the pad would have lasted longer if indeed it is the pad.

Any one any advice regards previous quote for eg are all issues stated relevant to my model thanks

I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction thanks in advance spera.Had this problem before put it on star and it was the occupancy seat sensor, looking at Olly posts I decided to fit one myself Ian B Walker sourced me a sensor pad as I was being charged £270 vat at main dealer. Fitted part in november 2011 circa 9 months ago. I now have srs on dash again when someone sits in or has sat on the passenger seat just like 9 months ago.Just for reference car is used allot due to airport runs as taxi.
So before messing about, on the star it went = no issues.
So all I can think of is:
1, loose connection
2,connection needs cleaning = whats best product to use
3,seat sensor pad needs changing again hope not minimum £190 to £270 part and I didnt enjoy fixing it last time.
4,ive read contact spiral fault but i dont know if this applies to my w211.
5, also read the belt tensioner can be an issue = or is that for a different model
6, maybe the wiring to the sensor is fatigued.

as a side my indicator arm doesnt automatically go off when i turn steering i have to manually push indicator arm off, and occasionally the cruise control wont work. However this has been happening for over 6 months now so i dont think its related.

i would have thought the pad would have lasted longer if indeed it is the pad.

Probably the occupancy seat sensor was FAULTY again ...
the Film sensor ... give way due to the Weight seat on top ...
that was why ...
the SRS sometime light-on ... when someone sits in ...

hope this helps .....

I expect its the pad again.

If the part was bought from main dealer you have a 2 year warranty as long as you have the original MB invoice.

Just take it in to a dealer, with the invoice and claim the warranty and they will fit it too for you FOC.

I expect its the pad again.

If the part was bought from main dealer you have a 2 year warranty as long as you have the original MB invoice.

Just take it in to a dealer, with the invoice and claim the warranty and they will fit it too for you FOC.

Thank you , after checks im beginning to think its the sensor pad again, time to dig out the receipt.

Cheers Olly , found the receipt , cost was actually £228.29 inc vat , and it was from main dealer in blackburn, so I will pay them a visit tomorrow and see what they say. part number MBA211 8207410 GOODS-003487/SWITCH.

Thanks to Ian at TM Kirkham we dug out the receipt of 124works for me.So loaded with the main dealer receipt and my 124works receipt I rang main dealer to book car in.I went into main dealers for what is a possible £600 job , they told me it had 2yr warranty from november 2011,and that they would need to do some checks/tests to make sure it is the occupancy seat sensor/pad.After 1hr they confirmed it was the above, and the car would be ready in about 4hrs time and as it was under warranty there would be no charge.I returned to collect the car and was told I still had 1yr and 2+months left in warranty on the new part.So job done and thanks to Olly pointing out about the warranty, and to Ian for digging out one of the receipts I needed,if it werent for them I would be looking at at least 4hrs work for me and £228 cost or at worst £450 indie or dealers at £££££££££.
At least ive got more warranty left on the part than I had when it went after 9 months last time.

Last edited:
I'm afraid my SRS light has come on and wont clear on a star. Its not the seat occupancy sensor according to star. Fault is showing as voltage too high and voltage too low and showing as current passenger front squab/squib. Voltage on battery wasn't checked. Wiring under seat looked ok. Mechanic thinks it could be the air bag itself in the passenger dashboard. I'd like to think it could be a fuse or a sensor but at a loss where to check on mine at present . Any thoughts on this would be appreciated , thanks everyone in advance. I have to sort it for its mot.

I'm afraid my SRS light has come on and wont clear on a star. Its not the seat occupancy sensor according to star. Fault is showing as voltage too high and voltage too low and showing as current passenger front squab/squib. Voltage on battery wasn't checked. Wiring under seat looked ok. Mechanic thinks it could be the air bag itself in the passenger dashboard. I'd like to think it could be a fuse or a sensor but at a loss where to check on mine at present . Any thoughts on this would be appreciated , thanks everyone in advance. I have to sort it for its mot.
its actually (Front passenger side airbag ignition squib) is too high and too low

Sorted it was the wiring around the steering column that had deteriorated over time. Sorted and no srs light now.

@Spera what do you mean it was the Wiring around the steering column. I have the same problem on my w211 57 plate. SRS light came on from nowhere and I haven't plugged onto a star yet but I hear a click and rattle in the steering column area when I'm driving over a rough surface!

A similar issue in that I bought current W211 with what was claimed a seat belt issue, The belt had to be plugged in when driving. Turns out the dealer or previous owner had fitted a sensor bypass module, fooling the system into thinking there was a passenger there all the time. Ive taken the bypass module out and stripped out the original sensor pad 211 821 19 58 so am looking for a new sensor pad to return the system to normal operation.

A question is once I change the pad do I have to go to the dealers to have the SRS reset or will it reset itself ?

Its definitely not an easy job with leather seats, moreso as the rivets on the fire extinguisher carrier have to be drilled too!!

I have also got the srs light on on my w202 c240, I have only got a plug with two wires at the front of the passenger seat,should it read 12volts if I put a meter on it,only seem to have around two volts,also what resistance should the seat pad be with no one in it

Chatteris - did you get a resolution on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom