W211 Suspension query / Odd ride height

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevlaar

Car
'04 W211 E220 Cdi
Hi guys,

A bit of confusion that I'd like cleared up if possible, I'm wondering if all W211 spring suspension have the notches on the struts/shocks that allow for repositioning the spring seating height as seen in the picture below (3a), if not, was it only sport suspension?

254112d1361929473-w211-sport-lowering-h-r-springs-good-socal-shop-shock.jpg

The car I've bought is a 2004 Avantgarde, and as far as I'm aware, it doesn't have the sport suspension/pack.

What has raised these questions is that my front ride height is significantly higher than the rear. AFAIK, the front springs have not been changed recently, so don't think they are still settling. Maybe they have been changed in the past for a stiffer spring from a difference spec W211?

Any thoughts?

Also I've tried physically looking for the notches on the strut under the spring seat, but there's not really a big enough gap to see if they're there or not :dk:

I think they all have the adjustable snap rings and you will not see the grooves without removing spring . My sport sit a tad high I think on front but after measuring against others it seems it's on the bottom setting but i've not got round to removing springs yet to check for sure. Mine has had new fronts before I got it and the colour codes are correct and they were done at mb too. I've changed my rears also as both had half a coil snapped at bottom and it's very common so I'd check there if I were you.

They don't all have the notches, I once stripped a 2003 e320 avantgarde as it was to low, only to find that it was unadjustable.

You will probably have incorrect springs fitted.

Thanks to both of you!

Auto-mobile, that clears that up then, will be best to have a look, but I'll be prepared that new springs may be needed. I'm looking at getting some lowering springs in the not too distant future anyway, so one way or another it'll get sorted :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom