W211 symbols on dash not lighting up

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by mav01987, Nov 9, 2018.

1. mav01987

mav01987 Active Member

Car:
    Golf
    Hi everyone

So this one has me stumped.

My battery died ( used trickle charger to recharge)

I changed my HID bulbs.

Now when I turn the ignition none of the symbols are lighting up ( engine check, low oil etc).

The instrument cluster lights work ( light up in the dark etc) but none of the symbols are showing.

When I am driving and indicating the indicator symbol does not light up neither does the hazard lights

Am I right to assume there is only 1 fuse for the cluster? So if it was a fuse the whole cluster wouldn’t illuminate?

Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. AMGeed

AMGeed MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    You could check the cluster fuse in the diagram below (Fuse52 7.5amp) but I doubt that will be the cause. Sorry I can't assist further.
    It is the fuse box inside the engine compartment on the drivers side next to the bulkhead.

I would remove the HID bulbs and see if the problem has been resolved.
    20181106_182032[1].jpg

3. Gbrowncls55

Gbrowncls55 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS55 AMG 06, SL350 06, 996 cab, all current. Gone : E500 W211, 2x M5s and far,far too many 911s
    I would try disconnecting the battery leave for 20 mins and then reconnect. often this will reset the system if its not a fuse etc.

4. mersum1es

mersum1es Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W219, W220, W210
    battery reset is unfortunaltely helping only rare cases (if it would be W203, probably just more problems would occur)... only when some module fails to intililze itself or goes to 'safe mode' due to external cause, reset may help.

Do you have factory or retrofitted HiDs (no trouble with voltage disturbance of aftermarket ballast)?

Cluster symbols are all leds and they very rarely die, so propability that so many go out at same time leads to outer culprit... either ECU is not asking them on properly or low voltage/voltage peak in charging has damaged some part of the circuit...