W211 thermostat change top tip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Mirror Man

Car
W211 E270 CDI Elegance.Rover 75 Tourer
I've just done this on my 54 plate E270. I managed it without losing a drop of coolant and without removing the oil filter cover.
I'm new to Mercs so don't shoot me is this is all common knowledge.

Tip 1. raise the front of the car about 10". I used ramps. Syphon the header tank dry. This removed about 2lts of coolant and not a drop escaped when I removed the old stat.

Tip 2. If you are careful you can just about remove all 4 bolts that secure the stat and wiggle the old stat free. Wiggling it back in took a little longer but it went in.

Tip 3. arm yourself with one of those small magnets on an extendable stick. I placed the magnet under the bolts as I removed them. Because Mine is flat at the end I also used it to locate the bolts in the holes of the new stat. It saved me having to take the undertray off to get at the bolts I would have dropped and made locating the holes a lot easier.

Hope that helps someone.:thumb:

Hi MirrorMan,
1, Is your engine now running hotter,
2, Did you sort out the CD Player?
Just being nosey ! LOL

Steve

Hi MirrorMan,
1, Is your engine now running hotter,
2, Did you sort out the CD Player?
Just being nosey ! LOL

Steve

Hi Steve,
Engine now running at 90 :)
Not tackled the CD player yet.
I've only had 1 run out in the car since changing the stat but mpg is up from 36 to 42.
It's much quieter too since I changed both front wheel bearings.
You can be as nosey as you like Steve. lol.

Hi,
So good news on the thermostat change, and a hefty 6 mpg gain. I dare say in (x-4ac/3- 15/1) miles the mpg increase will have paid for the thermostat.
Wheel bearings as well, car will think its having a birthday. Just makes the journey so much more pleasant.

Steve

Couldn't agree more Steve. I'm still missing the 50+mpg are am used to from the Rover 75 though. The Merc is a very nice place to be, all the same. I'm looking forward to a proper long journey to see what mpg it's capable of. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom