W211 Tips On Buying An E270 or E320 cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mystic.bertie

Car
E280 CDI SPORT 2007 Saloon
Hi Guys

I have never got round to buying a Merc and so i think the time has come. Im trying to not go far over £2500 so its looking like a 2003 or 2004 e270 cdi or e320 cdi saloon for my budget.

Is the valeo radiator still a concern on these cars and best avoided? If so how can i guarantee its not a valeo as i think a 2004 car could still have the valeo.

Is the braking system still a concern or is it just a case of hoping nothing goes wrong with it as all models at this age have it.

What else should i concentrate on, im experienced enough at looking over cars i just want to make sure i have some knowledge about the cars common problems.

Am i right in thinking the 04 cars are better with mesh grill on the dash?

Robert

The Valeo problem should mostly have been replaced by now but it's worth checking.

The SBC is a bit more of a lottery but the job can be done for £500 now as opposed to the £1000 it cost not too long back.

The mesh grill is mostly very late 2004, I don't recall ever seeing an '04 plate with it.

Other than that, they are great cars (I've owned eight 211's!) and all of mine were fantastic. My favourite CDI is the IL5 270 CDI; 50mpg with plenty of grunt. The last 270 I had was sold with 277k miles on and to look at it and drive you wouldn't know.

The Valeo problem should mostly have been replaced by now but it's worth checking.

The SBC is a bit more of a lottery but the job can be done for £500 now as opposed to the £1000 it cost not too long back.

The mesh grill is mostly very late 2004, I don't recall ever seeing an '04 plate with it.

Other than that, they are great cars (I've owned eight 211's!) and all of mine were fantastic. My favourite CDI is the IL5 270 CDI; 50mpg with plenty of grunt. The last 270 I had was sold with 277k miles on and to look at it and drive you wouldn't know.

Thanks for the reply, you sure do love these cars. When it gets to the higher miles should the gearbox be serviced every 80k? I have seen a couple with mileage around 140k and 150k. One has the mesh grill on the dash and its an e270 cdi. Is the small tabs on the radiator the way to tell if valeo or not?

This is the car on gumtree CLICKY
i have been looking at sold cars on ebay, would you say this car is only worth about £2500 assuming its in good condition and has full service history, the owner says its immaculate but the pics are not great.

Last edited:
A few points:
1. I doubt very much he is the first owner.

2. Check that "full Mercedes history". You'd be amazed what people think constitutes a full history.

3. Looks very low spec: no COMAND, no parking sensors (although he states so in the advert), no heated seats, no memory seats etc.

4. If he can't be ****d to present the car in a clear way, is that the attitude he's had to ownership.

5. Why hasn't he opened the car to take photos of the interior?

With regular servicing, these cars can go on to huge mileages Its not coincidence they are used as taxis in Germany. Gearbox servicing is recommended every 37k miles now.
The mesh grill on the dash should indicate its an 805 build (54 plate>)which supposedly has better electrics.
I can't comment on how to recognise Valeo v Behr radiators but would say if there hasn't been a problem by now you should be safe.
SBC pumps are considered the most expensive item you are likely to have to replace. Its possible the pump has already been done either by recall or due to wear.

When buying a W211 or S211, always check the electrics are all in working order. Its not cheap to fix faulty seats etc. Rust isn't too much of a problem with this model but look closely at the bottom of the doors and wheel arches.
It should be quiet and change up and down the auto box smoothly. Unless cold, any jerkiness may indicate its due an ATF change. Creaking over bumps may indicate a worn ball joint.

There are plenty of examples of this model around now so be choosy when buying. A good buy would be a forum members car as they are often advertised here.

A few points:
1. I doubt very much he is the first owner.

2. Check that "full Mercedes history". You'd be amazed what people think constitutes a full history.

3. Looks very low spec: no COMAND, no parking sensors (although he states so in the advert), no heated seats, no memory seats etc.

4. If he can't be ****d to present the car in a clear way, is that the attitude he's had to ownership.

5. Why hasn't he opened the car to take photos of the interior?

I already asked about the SH and he said 'it was from the dealer in the past but recently private'. I dont think many cars this age will have full dealer history, i dont mind but at least put the truth in the advert. He has had the car 6 years and is choosing his words wisely by saying its 1 owner, thats apart from him. I was not impressed by his advert but not everyone has a clue about presenting a car. As its not far from me i thought no harm looking at it. A couple of others i had my eye on are sold. There is plenty about but im looking in the Coventry area, i dont want to travel too far if i can help it maybe 50 miles. By the time you weed out all the scumbag doorstep traders there is not that many within my 50 miles.

If it's not too far then it's definitely worth a view.

With regular servicing, these cars can go on to huge mileages Its not coincidence they are used as taxis in Germany. Gearbox servicing is recommended every 37k miles now.
The mesh grill on the dash should indicate its an 805 build (54 plate>)which supposedly has better electrics.
I can't comment on how to recognise Valeo v Behr radiators but would say if there hasn't been a problem by now you should be safe.
SBC pumps are considered the most expensive item you are likely to have to replace. Its possible the pump has already been done either by recall or due to wear.

When buying a W211 or S211, always check the electrics are all in working order. Its not cheap to fix faulty seats etc. Rust isn't too much of a problem with this model but look closely at the bottom of the doors and wheel arches.
It should be quiet and change up and down the auto box smoothly. Unless cold, any jerkiness may indicate its due an ATF change. Creaking over bumps may indicate a worn ball joint.

There are plenty of examples of this model around now so be choosy when buying. A good buy would be a forum members car as they are often advertised here.

Thanks for all the useful advice. Is it likely the gearboxes wont have had the first service until 80k? I suppose if a car has about 150 k it should have been done a few times at least.

I looked at the forum classifieds already but i only seen one estate and im after a saloon but i will keep my eye on the forum ;)

If it's not too far then it's definitely worth a view.

should i worry about the lack of COMAND and heated seats, i think parking sensors would be good though, were they an optional extra?

also looking at this one on ebay CLICKY

also this one on autotrader CLICKY

Last edited:
the blue one at £2300, i sent a list of questions and his reply was 'Is old car mate ,you need to come and look it'. i told him to forget it.

should i worry about the lack of COMAND and heated seats, i think parking sensors would be good though, were they an optional extra?

Yes, parking sensors were optional.

In my experience of these, I would want at least parking sensors, heated memory seats and COMAND. The standard sound system is very good so the HK isn't that important.

the blue one at £2300, i sent a list of questions and his reply was 'Is old car mate ,you need to come and look it'. i told him to forget it.

That's actually the lowest spec W211 Avantgarde I've ever seen, it hasn't even got full leather.

That's actually the lowest spec W211 Avantgarde I've ever seen, it hasn't even got full leather.

yeah the guy has a terrible attitude so i wont be consiering that one, i think the one on ebay is sold and the guy is to ignorant to say so.

This guy has a lovely example, he said his reserve is 3k, do you think its worth it? I love the wheels but i would probably swap them for originals, i would just kerb them so its not worth the stress lol. He does not have the original wheels so cant do me a deal without the nice alloys. I could stretch to 3k, there is not that many genuine private sellers in the west midlands area so this one is handy.

EBAY CLICKY

That's an Elegance model (which is one down from the Avantgarde) and the wheels are fake Brabus. I think he's maybe overstating the cost of the re-curb and tyres too.

Having said that, it does look quite clean and you'd probably get a set of OEM rucha alloys and tyres for less than you'd sell the Brabus copies for.

That's an Elegance model (which is one down from the Avantgarde) and the wheels are fake Brabus. I think he's maybe overstating the cost of the re-curb and tyres too.

Having said that, it does look quite clean and you'd probably get a set of OEM rucha alloys and tyres for less than you'd sell the Brabus copies for.

i dont believe people when they quote these figures, unless they show me a receipt i tend to just think they are exaggerating. Its great how he does not mention the wheels are copies.

do you think its worth £3000

My old 320cdi was on a 04 plate and had the wire mesh grill.

Great car !

The car on ebay with the Brabus wheels says he will accept £2950 if i go to view. Is it worth it providing everything checks out ok. I said i would go see tonight at some point if its dry.

Last edited:
Careful he hasn't been ragging it. Those 5.5 AMG wing badges would make me wonder.

For what its worth, it does look like a nice example. Wave £2800 under his nose in cash and he'd probably snatch your hand off.

As mentioned before, check and double check all electrics work. Mirrors/seats/windows/Comand/parking sensors etc and deduct for everything needing work.

In the mid-2000s lots of basic spec AGs got put through the rental / lease / management circuit to be resold as ~1 year old AU. These would have half leather.

I suspect that those bought new privately would be more likely to be full leather as this would be a prefered option and also 'discounted in' to the deal.

Careful he hasn't been ragging it. Those 5.5 AMG wing badges would make me wonder.

For what its worth, it does look like a nice example. Wave £2800 under his nose in cash and he'd probably snatch your hand off.

As mentioned before, check and double check all electrics work. Mirrors/seats/windows/Comand/parking sensors etc and deduct for everything needing work.

those badges are a joke, i never noticed them. They have to go. :eek:

I will offer him less and if i find something that needs attention i will use this to bargain with. I might have to accept his full price of 2950 as he already said he was prepared to let the auction run.

i checked the mot history, the last one done in January has an advisory 'Brake system indicates a fault' , i will ask about this.

here is a few details he replied with previously

Hi, the gear oil was changed when I had full service when I purchased it about 18 month ago,
It had every oil drained and replaced,
Not done hardly any miles since,
Have had engine oil changed every 3000 miles
So has been done about a 1000 miles ago,

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom