W211 Tow Bar Fitting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David404

Car
GLE350d (W166)
Tow Bar
Just had detachable tow bar fitted to my W211 by Dynamic Performance in Birmingham, bit of a story but in the end very pleased.

First trip in they would fit a Witter bar, that's fine they are an old established manufacturer of tow bars. 2 hours later they phone, the Witter bar doesn't fit correctly. Holes where it all bolts together don't line up correctly, they are about 5mm out. Apparently Witters response was put it all together loose so it fits then tighten it all up. Dynamic Performance decline that as this will obviously stress the bar. And yes they check the car, no sign of accident damage.

Back the next day and they fit a Tow Trust bar and report it goes on just like it should.

Detachable swan neck tow bar, fold up 13pin electrics all coded into the car. Very neat job, with the bar removed, electrics folded up, totally invisible.

Attachments

• Bar off.jpg
    Bar off.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Bar on.jpg
    Bar on.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 31
Tidy looking job. Very handy the tow bar.

What sort of cost out of interest? I wouldn't mind getting a bar fitted on mine, so I could use a trailer to transport my MTB.

Cost

What sort of cost out of interest?...

£540 all in including VAT

Its an expensive job but in fairness this is about what I've paid for the bars on the last 3 cars (Saab's) all of which have been detatachable.

One thing to watch is how fitters do the electrics, you defo don't want a bodge job where they just tap in to the loom with snap lock connectors. Done correctly the reverse sensors are disabled when a trailer is connected, rear fog on car is switched off and the cars stability control 'knows' theres a trailer on the hook.

When they had the test lights connected they simulated a trailer bulb failure, the car instantly flashed up an erroe advising of a bulb failure. What it was side light/brake/indicator which side and that it was a trailer light not car.

For info I tow 1500Kg of caravan so I want it right.

I'd use Dynamic Performance again without hesitation.

£540 doesn't sound too bad for what you got. Well worth it for the extra flexibility it gives with the car.

I've tended to be about£350 for mine. Pf Jones for the bar and dedicated electrics and a mobile guy to fit...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fitted my own to my 211 estate.
....... Bosal detachable £190 from P F Jones
....... Dedicated RightConnections 13pin electrics £104 from towequipe on ebay

Really wasn't too hard to do and then you know exactly what's been done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom