W211 using blank switch positions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Michael48

Car
E W211 220 CDI, panoramic sunroof,
Has anyone used the blank switch positions? There's one on the left hand end of the front of the CD-changer.
I'm having some parking sensors fitted and the installer says it'll need a switch to activate the front sensors - so that looks like a good place to use.
Is there a Merc original part for a parking sensor switch?

Do you not have heated seats? I think that is the where the button would be that you're describing.

Do you not have heated seats? I think that is the where the button would be that you're describing.
No heated seats - a Spartan! Can it be used for something else? Is there room behind to install another switch type?

If the car hasnt got Airmatic fitted then I would fit the rocker switch behind the gear selector where the oe parktronic and airmatic buttons locate . I used this space to fit the deck lighting switches on our conversions

As you may have guessed I'm not yet very familiar with the car I've bought - so - how much needs to be "dismantled" in order to fit something where you suggest?

Theres very little needs removing , the gear selector souround will lift out . Open the ashtray then give the front edge of the gear selector souround a tug , this will allow t the lift up and out , then disconnect any wires . If the switch is circular then use a hole saw to drill the panel , it wont chip the wood trim if you cover is with some masking tape

Theres very little needs removing , the gear selector souround will lift out . Open the ashtray then give the front edge of the gear selector souround a tug , this will allow t the lift up and out , then disconnect any wires . If the switch is circular then use a hole saw to drill the panel , it wont chip the wood trim if you cover is with some masking tape
I've lifted the gear selector panel out - it looks as though it's got (at least) a metal frame round. Where you suggest the switch should go is there a metal base or is it just "wood/plastic"?

If you get a CAN speed sense module then no switch will be needed to turn the front sensors on and off manually, it will work automatically as per the factory parktronic system.

I discussed this with my installer but he told me that my car's too old to fit one - or maybe he just can't be a***d?

Has anyone used the blank switch positions? There's one on the left hand end of the front of the CD-changer.
I'm having some parking sensors fitted and the installer says it'll need a switch to activate the front sensors - so that looks like a good place to use.
Is there a Merc original part for a parking sensor switch?

Are you having the MB QuickPark sensors fitted?

No QuickPark is rear only system, OP is having front sensors.

W211 will have CAN-BUS. If you want an installer who will install with a speed sense module contact http://www.proparkuk.com/

Last edited:
No - I went for Steelmate front and rear. I hadn't heard of this. The fitting has been done well - excellent paint match - so I'm happy with those - it's just a matter of fitting the on/off switch for the front. Alternatively - I forget the switch and just leave them on all the time - at least it'll warn me in traffic jams if I'm too close to the car in front!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom