W211 vibration - NOT Valeo Rad problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tgardener

Car
W211 E270 cdi 2004 (53 plate) Auto Avantgarde Silver
Hello all,

I have a 2004 W211 Auto. Done approx 164k miles. Regularly serviced (mainly Merc independants). Recently used MB Motors -Chester (as recommended here).

Last ‘major’ changes in last 4 months were a split engine mount replaced and replacement of rear diff gasket.

For the last 2 months the car has been giving a vibration. Noticeable at most speeds, comes complete with a slight wobble on the steering wheel. It ‘did’ seem to point to the Valeo issue, but I have had the torque converter taken off and had the box checked (again by MB Motors, Chester) and the gearbox was declared ‘clean’. They flushed the gearbox and added some ‘anti-judder’ (what is that?) to help resolve the issue.

It hasn’t.

In summary:
  • Vibrates at any speed.
  • Noticeable to passengers.
  • Not noticed any particular noise apart from a whine (sounds a bit like turbo winding up) when first starting off.
  • Vibration can be seen at same ‘beat’ as a steering wheel wobble.
  • It may be perception, but I think it’s getting worse.
Q: What else should I be looking for – considering the points above?

I don’t wish to throw good money after bad, so need some pointers.

If you can help, that would be brilliant.

A worried, Tony

Don't know what the Valeo issue is but have just had a similar problem with my car. Felt like an injector going south on a more frequent basis over 18 months sometimes though that the wheels had turned into thrupenny bits, anyway, hopefully, it turns out it was the brakes, changed the front discs and pads and the problem seems to have gone. Hardly heard the brake squeal as the sound qualities of the Merc are still reasonable with the windows shut ........ but when I have a drag ... thought I had run over a moggies tail!! Hope this helps

It could be you have a torque converter issue, the way to check would be to turn off the lock up clutch via star and then road test it to see if there is any improvement.

I have also had experience of the electrohyraulic plate causing vibrations through the gearbox and giving exactly the symptoms as a worn torque converter. I know this after changing a TC only to still have the vibration and replacing the EHCU cure the issue! There is no way to test for this sadly.

Have you checked for wheel balance or shape issues!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom