W211 w Audio 20 - Bluetooth phone options?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mishad

Car
W211 E280CDI
I have a W211 (Classic) with Audio 20 with CD but no CD changer and no HK. There's no phone prep connector in centre console. Cluster shows 'no phone' when cycled to phone menu.

What are the options for phone bluetooth, ideally with steering wheel controls? So far I've come up with:

1) NTG2.5-based MY09 Audio20 retrofit - £600 incl £200ish wiring kit + STAR coding (could sell A20 on eBay to recover some cash)

2) mCar - £450 (also gives USB/iPod and BT streaming; not sure if MFSW enabled or how numbers/address book are shown in cluster/on A20)

3) Fiscon Pro - £350 + STAR coding (supports MFSW and radio integration, BT streaming)

4) NTG2.5 COMAND satnav - £1000+ + £200 wiring kit+ £200ish for recent maps

5) Model-specific Chinese aftermarket double DIN w BT and satnav - £400-500 (Dynavin, S100, etc. - are any actually any good, w as-OEM-or-better radio reception, decent Ui, etc)

Alternatively a Kenwood/Alpine - £600+, less well fitted to dash (std double din w trim panel)

6) Parrot MKi9000/9100/9200 (depending what display wants) - £100-150 + £20 wiring adapter + optional MFSW connection kit for £50 + £20 wiring adapter.

Alternatively CK3100 (no USB or audio streaming, no MFSW option) for a bit less.

Or the THB Bury equivalent (CC9058/CC9060), for about £50 more.

7) Standalone satnav w BT - £100-£300 depending on model (do any have car kit to mute radio and use speakers? are any any good as BT phone adapters, mics/spkrs/UI etc?)

Prices assume diy installation.

Have I missed any? Is it just a case of you get what you pay for?

Hi

Reviving - where did you end up on this decision? Just facing into the same now. Just bought an S211 with Audio 20 and changer. Has phone kit but no BT. Priority is to get bluetooth and iPhone/Pod integration for music.

Would love a PoV on these options.

CW

same as me! i have audio 50.. and want BT and iphone int!

OP here with update for posterity...

I got a MY09 Audio20 off eBay for £50ish (sniped while camping in New Forest while waiting for fish and chips via very flaky mobile signal!).

Adapter kit (incl mic and aux cable) for £120ish from KABELDAVIKO - W/S 211 2002-2009 Seite 2. (Same euro prices as today but this was before the weakening of the pound!!)

Fitting was pretty straightforward, though it results in the electric dash cubby hole (below the radio) no longer working. Drilled a hole in back of ashtray/cigarette lighter cubby for aux cable. Added a couple of ferrite chokes on the cigarette lighter power cable to reduce interference I had been getting on the radio reception when using phone charger. Ran the mic cable under the dash and up drivers A pillar to headliner and then to rear view mirror cluster. Didn't bother putting much inside the cluster - just stuck it on the side.

Sold the original A20 on eBay for £45 so net outlay about £125 plus time.

Mic reception not perfect (placement a bit too near windscreen so affected by rain noise and harder to hear passengers) but has worked well enough for numerous conference calls while driving to/from customer site.

Steering wheel controls work fine. I don't remember having to get it STAR coded but it was >3 yrs ago now so I may have forgotten!

Note that MY09 A20 doesn't have a2dp so BT is for calls only (hence aux to play music from phone). Also no phone book access so need to manually send entries from phone to the A20.

Hope this helps someone!

M

Mishad
Great. I am glad you are enjoying.
I have the same Audio20 (with CD) in my car and I am looking to have Aux connection for music and BT for phone in headunit.
I am unable to find a reasonably priced unit. You wrote in your post that you got the unit for GBP 50? Is that correct? where did you get the unit from as I am looking to buy a unit but a used unit is very expensive GBP 400-600?

Thanks in advance.

OP here with update for posterity...

I got a MY09 Audio20 off eBay for £50ish (sniped while camping in New Forest while waiting for fish and chips via very flaky mobile signal!).

Adapter kit (incl mic and aux cable) for £120ish from KABELDAVIKO - W/S 211 2002-2009 Seite 2. (Same euro prices as today but this was before the weakening of the pound!!)

Fitting was pretty straightforward, though it results in the electric dash cubby hole (below the radio) no longer working. Drilled a hole in back of ashtray/cigarette lighter cubby for aux cable. Added a couple of ferrite chokes on the cigarette lighter power cable to reduce interference I had been getting on the radio reception when using phone charger. Ran the mic cable under the dash and up drivers A pillar to headliner and then to rear view mirror cluster. Didn't bother putting much inside the cluster - just stuck it on the side.

Sold the original A20 on eBay for £45 so net outlay about £125 plus time.

Mic reception not perfect (placement a bit too near windscreen so affected by rain noise and harder to hear passengers) but has worked well enough for numerous conference calls while driving to/from customer site.

Steering wheel controls work fine. I don't remember having to get it STAR coded but it was >3 yrs ago now so I may have forgotten!

Note that MY09 A20 doesn't have a2dp so BT is for calls only (hence aux to play music from phone). Also no phone book access so need to manually send entries from phone to the A20.

Hope this helps someone!

M

phone book access should work automatically for most phones such as iphones etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom