W211 - wanting softer ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adamski151

Car
2007 E280 CDI Sport (W211)
Hey all.

Currently in W211 E320 CDI saloon 2008.
It's an avantgarde model, so (because it has the 17" wheels) is the sports suspension.

It's just too hard, and I'm fat and middle-aged and I want something softer.

Questions:
1) If i swap it out for the softer "comfort" shocks, as fitted to the 'classic' model, will it ride with the higher ride height and make it look like it's on stilts?
2) How much effect will simply changing the springs have?
3) Any 3rd party shock-ab product suggestions? Bilsteins? But the product range is bewildering.

I just basically want the most comftable smooth ride I can find withou having ot change the wheels and tyres.

Thanks guys - your help appreciated. Main dealers and practically useless and don't seem interested in helping me at-all!

CHeers.
14.jpg

New shocks and springs should help. Buy them for a non sports suspension model. Autodoc is pretty good for this info.

Would a set of used, smaller, wheels and new tyres be cheaper than shocks and springs, not least because the cost can be offset be selling the current wheels?

You can also go the used route and buy complete struts with springs for around 90 to 100 quid off ebay etc.

Reactions: 219
I also found my 211 avants ride a bit crappy around town. I fitted new standard Sachs shocks (not to fix the ride, they were just leaking) it was a slight improvement but not night & day. Unless it needs them, I would save your cash.

Everyone else who went in the car said how comfy it was, maybe we’re just OCD or nuts!

My elegance CLK rides way better at low speed.

I thought the Avantgarde was different suspension to the sport models ?
What tyres are you on , 245 45 17’s ? Pressure of 32 all round ?
I also run 16” wheels on my E320cdi in the winter , with 225 55 16’s , there is a difference in comfort and you can get 16’s on eBay cheaply .

what tyre brand are you using.A switch to goodyear or dunlop will help a lot in terms of comfort.

I thought the Avantgarde was different suspension to the sport models ?
What tyres are you on , 245 45 17’s ? Pressure of 32 all round ?
I also run 16” wheels on my E320cdi in the winter , with 225 55 16’s , there is a difference in comfort and you can get 16’s on eBay cheaply .

They are. They are listed as touring shocks and with the correct springs sit about an inch lower than sports suspension.

Step one: buy a set of 16 inch wheels and tyres from EBay (or here), and try them out.

They'll cost you nothing because people are always going in the other direction.

See if they work. If they don't you can sell them again.

If they do work, but you want something crisper, just find a better set of wheels and brand new tyres. No need to commit to big money in the first place.

Big wheels are a cosmetic fallusy. You'll always get a better ride from smaller wheels.

I totally agree re wheel size but mine actually had 16’s - and it’s not like 17’s are huge for a W211.

I think to get a genuine improvement will require some tweaking to the suspension. How much work would it require to raise the height with elegance spec springs? Maybe a call to wheels in motion?

Hey all.

It's an avantgarde model, so (because it has the 17" wheels) is the sports suspension.

Questions:
1) If i swap it out for the softer "comfort" shocks, as fitted to the 'classic' model, will it ride with the higher ride height and make it look like it's on stilts?
3) Any 3rd party shock-ab product suggestions? Bilsteins? But the product range is bewildering.

I just basically want the most comftable smooth ride I can find withou having ot change the wheels and tyres.

Thanks guys - your help appreciated. Main dealers and practically useless and don't seem interested in helping me at-all!

CHeers.
View attachment 100635
The biggest difference will come from fitting smaller wheels so that you once again have tyres with a reasonable sidewall to absorb shocks from the road ; ultra low aspect ‘rubber band’ tyres are useless at this and just a stupid fashion fad .

Before you change the wheels , make sure that smaller ones will actually fit over your brake callipers since it may not be possible to downsize . If your handbook lists smaller wheel sizes as an option , this will likely not be a problem.

Yes , you could fit taller springs and softer shocks to get back to a normal ride height and better ground clearance ( handy for clearing speed bumps ) , again lowering cars is a fashion fad .

As has been suggested above , if you make these changes , you may need adjustments to your suspension geometry - a further expense .

However , rather than performing all these modifications to your car , of which you will have to inform your insurer , you might find it easier to simply change the car .

If comfort is what you want , take a test drive in an S Class ; for something comparable to what you have either a late W220 or a W221 . An S320 should have similar performance and running costs and you will find a huge difference between the two cars . You could probably trade your existing car for what you are proposing to spend modifying your current one .

Try and find an S320 to test drive before you change anything .

Last edited:
Open the door jamb on the car and look at the tyre pressure table. There you'll see the tyre size options for your specific car. (They'll also be in the owner's manual, but who reads the owner's manual)

I'm pretty certain that the 320 avantgarde rode on 16's and above, but your doorway will tell you.

You'd be daft to replace the suspension on the car: the cost and risk is too great on a car this cheap. You could spend a chunk of change to then discover that you don't like new set up. Money you will never see again.

Pontoneer's suggestion is sound. The S320 is an extraordinarily good car, with an excellent ride quality, provided you can "stand" the bigger size of the car. As long as you avoid "Carriage trade" high mileage cars, they will probably be even more reliable that the E320. Oh, and obviously avoid the bigger wheel cars: 17 inch wheels on a W221 will give you the best limo ride.

One final point, the Avantgarde is only a minor step up from the Elegance or Classic, and is not as hard, or as "racy" as the "Sport." So it's not as if you've got proper "Sports suspension" here, only slightly firmer suspension.

Hope this helps.

I agree with the earlier comments regarding wheel size. When I bought my 280CDI Avantgarde W211, it came with 17" wheels which I swapped out for 16". The Avantgarde suspension sits in between the 'comfy' ride of the Elegance and the 'hard' ride of the Sport models. I found the ride to be quite a bit better on the 16" wheels and worth the change.

I may have slightly compromised the car's performance around the Nurburgring, but I was prepared to tolerate that loss.

I find our s211 e320 CDI avantgarde to ride really cushiony and soft. Like said above wheel size is a major factor, ours is on 16" wheels. A big chunk of sidewall.

Try adjusting your tyres pressures just a little it can make a big difference. This will have an affect on tyre wear but it's a compromise to the more soft cushioned ride.

Don’t swap an E class for an S class of the same age without having a very good understanding of the ABC suspension on an old car . £500-1500 a corner for struts , £500-1000 for the pump ?

My inclination is leaning towards the change of vehicle option. I have been in a conventionally sprung W211 avantgarde and it is a real compromise between comfort and handling and not a great one for a heavy car. My recommendation is a W211 with air suspension all around.

Hey all.

Questions:

CHeers.
View attachment 100635
Not that it really matters too much but that wheel - Ankaa - is from the pre-facelift so it’s possible someone’s has upped the size and they did actually come on 16”.

Have a look at the datacard and it’ll tell you what it originally came with.

(Nice car btw)

Most cars of that age will no longer be on the factory spec suspension due to spring breakage etc- Often replaced with aftermarket components or by a previous owner seeking " better handling" :oops: just going back to standard factory spec MB components may be a solution? check the spring colour codes you have on at present

The Sport/Avangarde variants will have lowered and stiffened suspension compared to Classic.

The ride height is determined by the springs, who in turn are accommodated by the dampers.

Fitting dampers designed for a higher car isn't a good idea, because the dampers' travel range might not be the correct one for the sport springs. So ideally you should change both the springs and the dampers (with a matching set).

But given the age of the car, and the fact that the cost for parts and labour is likely to be quite high, especially at the front, I am not sure I would go down that route.

Perhaps simply opting for smaller wheels with higher tyre profiles (as others mentioned) is the most practical solution.

And, when choosing tyres, avoid those with the word 'Sport' in their name... ContiPremiumContact is a good example of a tyre range designed for comfort rather than sporty drive.

And last, keep the tyre pressures at the low end of the permitted range. It will shorten the tyres' service life, but will produce a softer ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom