W211 whine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twistedmind

Car
Mercedes C350e
Nasty loud wine coming from engine bay this morning

New alternator installed last year. And all pulleys are new.

Any other ideas ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are certain it's not the alternator drive belt slipping (always the 1st suspect) then how about the power steering drive belt.?
I'm not familiar with the W211, but plenty of engines have the Power steering driven by a separate drive belt system.

Last time I had a whine from the engine it was the timing belt tensioner.......It was not a Mercedes but when it eventually let go it lunched the engine. You wont have that problem with the E270 engine though......I would troubleshoot which pulley by giving each one in turn a spray with WD40 or such like to identify the culprit. The W211 engine bay is pretty tight behind the radiator so obviously turn the engine off when you are in there. It is most likely either the tensioner or the idler(guide) which will go quiet if you use a spray tube and spray into the bearing housing. You need to be pretty accurate to get behind the bearing shield. Alternator bearings can also go out but it is difficult to get to the rear bearing (also don't soak the slip rings). Don't go crazy with the lubricant or you will need to replace the belt also.....
Even if you have had the pulleys and alternator replaced recently do not assume that they cannot fail again quickly.

Had a problem like this on a friends BMW X5 in the end i took the auxcillary dive belt off and run the engine to see if the noise went away and it did, it was the altinator but it could have been anyone of the pulleys on the front.

Cheers all. Will have a strip down this weekend.

Haven't had time yet. Plus I still have a front abs strip down to complete.
Need a tool that gives me more days a week lol

Pulled it apart this weekend and everything looks fine.

Hello,

Sorry to hear that buddy,why don't you take your car to a garage to check it out. There is a great site called http://www.repairanycar.com/ . It will introduce you to a network of acclaimed garages in your local area in just a few seconds.
Its just a question of your registration number!!

Hope this helps

Seyi

Did you run it without the belt (or belts) to see what happened?

335499b2ba34ba782be6f03c3c9ae9e4.jpg

Ok. Looks like alternator has given up. Just 2 years after Mercedes installed a new one costing 800 quid !! ( I know, I was stuck in Scotland)

Will they cover it ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom