W211 Winter Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abecketts

MB Enthusiast
Car
E280cdi, Disco2, Alfa 166 3.0 and tractors
Hi Folks,

I'm back in a merc, a 2009 e280 estate sport. I can't seem to find much of a choice on winter tyres. The car has 245 40 18 front and 265 35 18 rear. Or do I just get some Michelin cross climate tyres?

Thanks

Hi Folks,

I'm back in a merc, a 2009 e280 estate sport. I can't seem to find much of a choice on winter tyres. The car has 245 40 18 front and 265 35 18 rear. Or do I just get some Michelin cross climate tyres?

Thanks
I have used Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3 and 5 tyres on my W211 with the same tyre sizes and they have been fine even at minus 7.

Clearly they will not be any use on deep snow but I wouldn't take the car out in those conditions.

All seasons have come a long way in performance in the last few years (according to those in the know)
And for us living in the south.......

I am on Bridgestone Weather Control Evos and they feel fine, albeit no real white stuff in the last 12 months to report back on

To all intents and purposes, people on the PH winter tyres thread are speaking very highly of Cross Climates 2. That includes people in N Europe, too.

However, that's for winter performance, rather than outright summer performance...

Hi Folks,

Thanks
Have you double-checked whether those tyre sizes are recommended by Mercedes for your car?

Mercedes usually stick to relatively standard sizes so there ought to be at least a couple of winter options.

If a previous owner has changed to less common sizes then you may find less choice in winter and summer tyres.

What tyre and wheel sizes are in the filler cap lid ?
My E320cdi avantgarde is on 245 45 17 all round

You can probably buy some smaller alloy wheels on eBay so you can buy cheaper winter tyres . I run 16’s during the winter

Have you double-checked whether those tyre sizes are recommended by Mercedes for your car?

Mercedes usually stick to relatively standard sizes so there ought to be at least a couple of winter options.

If a previous owner has changed to less common sizes then you may find less choice in winter and summer tyres.
They are the correct size for the "Sport" version

You can probably buy some smaller alloy wheels on eBay so you can buy cheaper winter tyres . I run 16’s during the winter
I'm assuming that the OP's 211 is an AMG, due to the staggered 18"s, so the 16" may not clear the callipers and discs.

I'm assuming that the OP's 211 is an AMG, due to the staggered 18"s, so the 16" may not clear the callipers and discs.
If only, tis a sport e280 diesel, it does have the brabus chip fitted which will make things a bit more interesting

As said above. The 280/320 CDI Sports models have the 18inch staggered setup.

These models also have larger brake discs I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom