W211 wishbones and bushes, what needs changing?

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by gIzzE, Aug 31, 2011.

1. gIzzE

gIzzE MB Club Veteran

Car:
    530d Touring + ML270 Inspiration
    My 56 plate S211 is about to hit 100k miles, and I think it is time to put some new front bushes and drop links on her.

Can anyone tell me what parts need replacing and if you have part numbers that would be great.

It doesn't feel like it really needs doing, but from experience when a car gets to 100k miles and 5 years old things can feel looser without you noticing.

2. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    Dont waste your money, The bushes and ball joints will be the first to go and these will be picked up at services or MOT time.

Thanks

Jay

3. OP
    OP
    gIzzE

gIzzE MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Thanks for that Jay.

Just that my steering wheel is slightly off to the left, not hit anything, and I know on my old M3s that this was a sign that the ball joint bushes were going on that side.

I just thought that if I was going to get an alignment done I would do the front end bushes beforehand.

4. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    Could be, get someone to check it first though.

5. OP
    OP
    gIzzE

gIzzE MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes had in a few months back and said they couldn't really see any play and I had it up on the ramp at the weekend and it seemed pretty solid, but not sure as I have not looked at one with play.

6. corned

corned Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    car
    It's pretty evident. Get a stout screwdriver or other bar and give the joints a good heave to try to move/separate them. Any movement at all will quickly show itself. If solid, lie back and rest, and think of other ways of spending your hard-earned disposable...