W211 with Camcorder - was it you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
Was it you Brian? If not you have a twin! Anyone else here?

Spotted Today: A41 near Aylesbury, Tealite Metallic Blue W211 E-Class Avantgarde, with a suction mounted camcorder facing out the rear window!

poss local constabulary's unmarked vehicle?

pammy said:
poss local constabulary's unmarked vehicle?

Possibly. It is a primary route they patrol, but this was normal camera with a suction mount just like Brian's and Scott's. I guess they could have just been recording general traffic behaviour etc.

On a side note, I think I found an unmarked car this morning. Busy A road, I kept straddelling the dashed lines in the centre of the road, looking for any potential gaps. The car behind car me gave me a single, long flash of the lights. I took a good look in my mirror to see a white shirt with black lapels. Not sure what his problem was, but I decided not to overtake anything this morning :D

GrahamC230K said:
I kept straddelling the dashed lines in the centre of the road, looking for any potential gaps.
Bites tongue, says nothing.. ;)

If you could see the white shirt etc. A good tip is to look for an 'extra' rear view mirror. Not that I am suggesting that most unmarked traffic cars 'used' to have two interior rear view mirrors.

John

glojo said:
Bites tongue, says nothing.. ;)

If you could see the white shirt etc. A good tip is to look for an 'extra' rear view mirror. Not that I am suggesting that most unmarked traffic cars 'used' to have two interior rear view mirrors.

John

LOL John. It wasn't a narrow lane and I could see clearly, fear not (on this occasion anyway).

I think it was plod on his way to work to be honest and he was getting started early.

The fact is, you are allowed to overtake and advanced driving techniques promote the use of positioning the car so you can safely see ahead (not that I am an advanced driver, but I read a snippet of the IAM literature once!).
With a Nurburgring decal on the back of the car, I am aware anyone such as plod knows I am an enthusiastic motorist and I also did not want to be stopped as my new rear tyres are on order and I am running on the border line. I guess we were already travelling at 60 mph, so I suppose he may of wondered how I was going to overtake without gaining any more speed! :eek:

I am all for a ticking off instead of a fine or points, so I took it as a warning and behaived.

Now, anyone owning up to this E-Class with camcorder?

GrahamC230K said:
LOL John. It wasn't a narrow lane and I could see clearly, fear not (on this occasion anyway).
The fact is, you are allowed to overtake and advanced driving techniques promote the use of positioning the car so you can safely see ahead (not that I am an advanced driver, but I read a snippet of the IAM literature once!).

:) Hang back, get an early view, build up acceleration etc etc ;)

No camcorder in our car. The Police must be well paid to afford a nice 211.

John

I heard today our motorway unit are getting a few X5 BMWs. The 4.4ltr?

We have quite a few BMW 330 and 530 diesels too, no Mercs though. :rolleyes:

FYI, if you're travelling throught West Sussex look out, as the police have a number of E320CDI Avantgarde estates...all in silver. There are a few unmarked C class estates (in white), but not sure what engine they have...

Regards

Peter

I'm just glad I saw the car, then saw the camera in the window in my mirror as it passed. Had I come up behind this car and it had been a 320CDI, I would have been flashing and generally driving like a loony thinking it was Brian. I would never have thought it might be Police!

If it was Brian, wouldn't you have recognised the reg.?

PJH said:
If it was Brian, wouldn't you have recognised the reg.?

Now you mention it, I possibly would have ;)

Although I would have been nervous and holding a low gear ready to accelerate, in case he tried to smoke me. I would also have been setting my aircon to recirculate in case he literally smoked me :p

GrahamC230K said:
Now you mention it, I possibly would have ;)

Although I would have been nervous and holding a low gear ready to accelerate, in case he tried to smoke me. I would also have been setting my aircon to recirculate in case he literally smoked me :p

It wasna me mate. :rolleyes:

Smoke eh, I'll get you at playtime. :D

Anyway my reg is pretty recognisable.

Steve_Perry said:
Yeah it's usually the blurred one as you disappear off into the distance :p

S.

And you should know mate. :D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom