w211 with SBC code c249c

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

millo777

MB Enthusiast
Car
1997 W140 S600L/2003 S211 320cdi
My w211 e320cdi is showing the "Visit Workshop, service brake!" white warning in the dash and my MOT is due and assume It won't pass with this message showing.

I've got a C3 Star with Xentry and is showing code C249C-Test Cable Stop lamp to N10/1(Driver-side SAM control unit with fuse and relay module)for Voltage

The brake lights all work fine, as do the brakes. I changed the brake switch for a new one from the main dealer this morning, which had no effect on the message, even after deleting the code.

I can see quite a few threads around the interweb of people having this code, but none where a solution has been found.

Can anybody point me n the right direction for a solution? or even where to start looking?

Any help greatly appreciated.

I would have thought it would be the pump reaching its maximum number of activations. Starts out white and then goes red with some loss of brake function. Cant comment on the fault code as such.

I believe the C249C code means the pump is close to, or has timed out of actuations.
It can be reset.
This guy can do it, and refurbish the pump, if you are in the UK.
Certainly worth giving him a call to see if he can assist.

Since the codes has pulled by SDS, I trust it is quite accurate... NO mention about service treshold etc (I believe its C249F btw...) thats why I asked what instructions SDS gave, usually there are supply voltage checks with pin assignments and sometimes resistant readings for related cable. Because the code description is cable related, I assume there is almost broken wire somewhere.

I'll have to check on star again for further instructions. I've only used it for checking and deleting fault codes so far, so ill try delving into the diagnostics a bit more tomorrow.

I did find the video below on YouTube, but as it's not in English I'm totally lost

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It sounds like it's something to do with not getting voltage to pin 3 on the SBC loom.

I'll try and confirm with xentry.

What I find strange, is if pin 3 is not getting voltage, what effect that is having as the brakes and brake lights all work fine, and there are no esp issues.

Just went through the xentry diagnostic. The instructions are:

Connect socket box
Test voltage between pins 44 and 3 is between 11v and 14v
Press brake pedal and test the same again. With pedal pressed voltage should be less than 1v

So, I assume the socket box is just a breakout box for loom and connector that goes into the SBC pump? Assume it must be possible to do the same test without the "socket box"?

Is it safe to assume the numbering convention for pins runs right to left starting at the top left?

Yes that socket/connect box is MB service 'tool' which connects different ECU/Modules to easier measureable connections. It can be done without box but then you must decipher which pins you need to measure (I remember they were not always 'duplicates'... you can find pin assigments in WIS (also wiring diagrams).

Thought I'd add the pinout diagram and chart here for future ref if anybody has the same issue and stumbles on this thread.

In the mean time, I've also discovered a broken bonnet catch, so have to deal with that before I can even open the bonnet. Oh joy.

Attachments

• sbc pin out.pdf
    64.5 KB · Views: 59
  • sbc_connector.jpg
    sbc_connector.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 48
Thought I'd add the pinout diagram and chart here for future ref if anybody has the same issue and stumbles on this thread.

In the mean time, I've also discovered a broken bonnet catch, so have to deal with that before I can even open the bonnet. Oh joy.
Thanks for the useful info, this will help me with my troublesome E270.

What's N47-5?

TIA
Alex

N47-5 is the ESP control module

I haven't done any further investigation of the problem with w211 yet as I'm working from home so don't need the car for commuting and have another car for Tesco runs. Maybe when the weather warms up I'll get it fixed.

Thanks. I haven't been able to do any investigation either because I'm using the car every day for work, and all other wheels are out of action......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom