W212 2011 E220 CDI SE Broken rear spring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red C220

MB Enthusiast
Car
2021 Mazda MX-30 EV, 2014 FF
Father in laws E220 CDI SE which he's owned from new (40,000 miles) failed it's MOT today with a broken rear spring.

I'm surprised it's gone a vehicle this young. I know this is an issue with W210 and W211.

I've suggested he take it up with Mercedes. Would it be unreasonable to expect them to repair this or at least contribute on a 4 year old car with full MBSH?

I would not think it unreasonable at all - At the very least worth a try.

I'd expect them to charge you the going rate for a pair of rear spring supplied and fitted.

Modern springs are of poor quality, not to mention the state of our roads, a week doesn't go by that I don't replace road springs.

Within a warranty period there is no argument.

I'd expect them to charge you the going rate for a pair of rear spring supplied and fitted.

Modern springs are of poor quality, not to mention the state of our roads, a week doesn't go by that I don't replace road springs.

Within a warranty period there is no argument.

Interesting.

Do you consider 4 years and 40,000 miles on UK roads reasonable life span for a Mercedes Spring. Which ultimately is what this comes down to.

No not at all! There are old 190s from the 80/90s that probably have there original springs (as a comparison),

I have replaced rears on a 5 year old w203 with 20k on the clock, it's terrible really.

I'd go to Mercedes and kick up a stink, but if be suprised if they paid.

I had only one spring fail on the 190e but that was after 25 years and a lot of pot holes and speed bumps.

I bought a pair of springs as you should but the ride height measured up fine so I didn't bother fitting the 2nd one. If anyone wants a spare spring for a 190e it's free for collection from Macclesfield Cheshire.

Spring breakage seems to afflict most modern cars so we are not alone. The disappointment should be that MB hasn't risen above the norm.

Spring breakage seems to afflict most modern cars so we are not alone. The disappointment should be that MB hasn't risen above the norm.

Modern springs are made from nothing, very thin, given that Mercedes don't care about their cars going rusty, catching fire or needing endless sets of injectors, I doubt they'd be bothered about matey's rear spings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom