w212 5 speed auto box transmission judder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lewiseyers

Car
w212 220cdi estate 2010......still
hi, i have a ex fleet car 109,000 miles e220cdi....

IS THIS A COMMON FAULT

I believe the transmission oil had never changed until I did it in the last full merc service with proper merc parts and oil at 109000 miles..

heres the story

I got the car at 85,000 miles, gearbox always works perfectly if driven normally, or hard,

I drive with a very gently throttle though, and fairly low revs, when I got the car I noticed when in town that the car kangeroos a little when using light throttle matched to low speed so theres barely any load in the transmission line.. this was barely noticeable at 85-95,000 miles

the kangerooing is like driving too slow in to higher gear in a manual car....except im not in the incorrect gear and the cars a auto, it feels like slack in the drive train or gearbox

from 95,000 to 109,000 it slowly got worse until it was really noticeable, transmission and car have just had full service and codes scan with mercedes parts and oils by mercedes, the kangerooing is noticable better than ever

problem its its still there and still noticable although no were near as bad as it was or has ever been,,

is it a gear box fault.... a worn diff ...it cant need serviceing as it was done 200 miles ago

when driving gently as i do i sometimes have to change up manually as id like it to change up earlier than the gearbox like...

p.s im a proffesional driver , 100,000miles a year, the problem is not excesively light driving in the incorrect gear

any help appreciated

thanks in advance:crazy:

thanks in advance

Juddering in an auto isn't good..it signals either the valve box is faulty or the bands inside are worn..

I'd go for the simplest of things first and work up.. like gearbox mounts, prop shaft bearings and joints etc..

Its a pity you're so far away.. Mackies in Glasgow, here are the business and would be able to diagnose.. may be worth a call, but I doubt it as diagnosing over the phone can be harder than on here..

It's barely noticeable, but because I've noticed it I thought I'd start finding the answer sooner rather than later...

Your average driver with normal driving would never notice it...

Like I say, I drive with a very light right foot

Appreciate the advice tho..thank you

When they did the oil change did they flush all the oil out of the torque converter? This holds about 4 litres of oil so you could have a mix of new and 109k miles oil which could cause some issues.

Apart from what's already been mentioned, if it feels like you are driving over a cattle grid when you accelerate it could be the torque converter.

All done by trained Mercedes technician

That doesn't mean to say they flushed the TC ;)

i think it took 10 litres its itemised on the printed receipt, it was serviced with correct parts correct oil, not sure if itemised on the digital on line service record tho

the kangerooing was worse before the service its now calmed down to nearly un noticable

As 4life211 says, 10 litres is more than you'd expect. I recently swapped a 7g Tronic box out which has a similar capacity. The box was properly drained, the control module and valve body swapped (on the bench) - you would have struggled to get a thimble more oil out. Also flushed the cooler and pipes with fresh oil then blew out with compressed air. On refill I got about 7 litres in and level checked with the pan perfectly level. So I'd take what was done with a pinch of salt.

On the 722.6 box, another oil and filter change / drain TC won't be that difficult and might eliminate any issues. If that doesn't work, I'd try to get any codes read. Worst case 2nd hand box would cost you about £450 - £700 depending on where you get it from (get mileage confirmed by email along with the donor car reg)

I'll dig the itemised bill out and let you know what was put in

Itemised bill shows 6.5 litres of Mobil 1 engine oil
But does not specify how many litres of gearbox oil was used

Mines 109,000 miles..Just read this and the rocking back and forth of a engine with failed
mounts could cause the judder

How to check for bad engine mounts on a Mercedes Benz - MB Medic

https://youtu.be/tjEZJ4MLiEM

ill do this check and update the thread, i did not know there oil filled mounts, i had a small trace of oil under the engine that was detected at the service, but no oil leak found on the engine.......

i put this down to me spilling oil when topping it up .....

i could be on to some thing here

ill keep you up dated.....

wonder if the mounts are a diy at home job..

Last edited:
Check out other thread from AndyKO 3/3/18 on W211 gearbox 'judder'.

The 2003 is a different box.

Your issue will be either valve chest or torque convertor fault.

We normally remove both and have them reconditioned for peace of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom