[W212] Airmatic "Malfunction" error message

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cezar

Car
W212 E350 CGI
hi guys. went on a long trip and after 200'ish km got a white "malfunction" message on the dashboard (picture attached not mine but similar) with the rising icon (the same when you push to rise the airmatic). result was no button related to airmatic was functioning. it happened in sport mode so the car just remained like this. stop/start engine it tries to level i hear one his sound on rear rigth and then rear left and then the "malfunction" error message appears. Finished my journey for another 200km. stayed overnight and the next day it looked ok (was afraid i'd find it on the belly). error message appeared again few seconds after engine start. drove all the way back and now I have a service apointment 'cause anyway it was due service A.

after several days front is very low and of course is not levelling back. there was no other error message until today when I went with the wheels all the way left and right to check for clearance. than the red "car to low" message appeared.

i would say pump/compressor failure as i don't hear it anymore but it's just a guess. before i could hear it everytime it engaged. now i don't hear anything. just quiet when it should start and then some hises from right and then left rear. and then the error. i'm imagining the system tries to level. pump doesn't engage. the system releases some valves and then aknoledges the error. maybe due to lack of pressure.

called a tow truck for tomorrow to take it to the dealership. will update accordingly.

PS the car had rear airbags issues half year ago and rear airbags and valve block were replaced (there's another thread for that)

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 19.40.57.png

A broken wire to the pump is the usual cause for this. We must have done 30 of them now. Need to plug it in to be sure. The fault code IIRC is with the release valve. 10min job with a soldering iron and shrink wrap.

Been reading something about that online. Taking it to the dealership tomorrow. I’m assuming they’ll just replace the pump in this case :|

I’m kind of expecting the pump to be broken as well as I’ve been about two months with rear airbags leaking and till I got the parts the pump was working heavily ( at least raising it every morning).

dropped the car at the dealership just now. when replicating the defect i had a feeling the compressor runs though. and it would make sense as there is a strong his sound (two times). i think the compressor works but there is a leak after. it tries two times than the error. had the valve blocked replaced last time even though it was not at fault (rear airbags were). so maybe it's a failure in that one?

will see and update

Ok. This must be one of the best experiences with the dealership. In about 5 hours tops they called that the car was ready. Serviced and fixed. I was like wow.

root cause for the malfunction: a disconnected pipe from the compressor. They just put it back and secured the fit. All works fine now. Can’t be happier.

it turns this is a shorter thread than expected, which is a good thing.

good luck to all and stay safe.

What a result just a pipe to put back on.
Set off to do a shop for the elderly in our cul de sac this morning and within 200 yards had the red stop the car level too low message and rubbing noise from each wheel arch. Pulled up and climbed out car (S205) had the full boy racer look with the wheels deep inside the wings and about 12cm ride height. Turned car on tried the high tide setting and each dynamic mode, message saying vehicle rising came on followed by the red death screen.
pressed the breakdown button in the overhead panel got through to MB Who arranged RAC technician to attend. He looked at wiring, listened for leaks and used OBC to download errors. Error was compressor running longer than expected. With the car low it could not be towed so low flatbed requested. 4 hours after my first call car was at local MB garage in Newcastle. Had a call from garage to say car had arrived and they will look at it tomorrow and contact me, they also asked if I needed a loan car. I declined as I can use my wife’s car. My lockdown mileage is so far 25 miles.
I hope that the fix is not going to break the bank. A little worrying that the car wen down so low so quickly. Glad I was only doing about 10-15 mph at the time would not like the sudden drop on the outside lane of the motorway. Strange that no signs of errors in the past and that the car was at normal height at each corner before I set off.

Glad you get it running 👍 Had a similar malfunction, in my case it was plastic cover was damage and water got inside and the car could dropp down anywhere.

Its really easy to remove the plastic cover and have a check only few bolts.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

8E078208-6412-4F6B-AE30-AAEEFA24EBF3.gif

ok. back to square one :( today just took lots of air out, deopped the back significantly and there it was: malfunction. Exactly same behavior

back to dealership. I guess they need to replace the nut and/or pipe. I’m imagining they just put them back but they were not ok this the failure.

will keep you posted.

Finally have my S205 fixed on the second attempt.
Garage changed the airmatic compressor as it was faulty MB UK chipped in with 50% of the cost which helped relieve the pain as warranty ended 14 months ago. I had decided to put money aside rather than take out the MB cover which has still worked out less expensive.
Collected the car and set off home only to get a airmatic warning after 15 mins drive. Slowed right down and continued then got the red vehicle too low warning a few hundred yards from home so limped back at a walking pace.
RAC rescue collected the car on Monday and took it back in. Dealers discovered the 40amp fuse for the new compressor was blown and the compressor was not working. They checked out all the systems on STAR and could only find the compressor at fault. A second new compressor fitted and further diagnostic tests all well. Car drove home without problem and changes mode lifting and lowering as it should in all the driving modes. Strange to get a faulty spare part but as MB parts are warranted MB will pick up the full cost of the second fix.

Glad you had it fixed :) mine is still at the dealership. They ordered some nut and will replace it and said something about some hose/pipe.

was wondering... both times I had the failure, I was in sports mode. You guys think the airmatic system is under more pressure in one mode vs the other? I’d say no, but just asking.

In sports setting the car should be lower so the compressor doesn't need to raise the car. So I'd say less pressure.
Glad to hear the dealership are on the case and will get it fixed.

picked up the car yesterday. looks ok for now. one thing i noticed is that seems to have much less hiss and puff sounds when starting/stopping the engine. might just be a random thing.

anyway it got fixed with new nut installed and thread on the pipe re-made. they keot it two days to observe also.

all working well now thankfully :)

the other thing is (and please be this one the last one) that the front lowers a bit. espeacilly when left in sports mode. i find it very low. but not always. if left in comfort mode is not that visible.

i guess i'll replace front struts as well :( but i hope all ends with this (lucky me)

PS just got my summer tires now :D felt like bragging :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom