W212 and (aftermarket) spare wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

columb

Car
W212
Hello,

My Bluetec W212 came without spare wheel and - which I can't understand HOW ON EARTH SOMEONE THOUGHT IT WILL BE A GOOD IDEA? - without space for one! But as I don't want want to be caught up in the middle of nowhere without spare I thought that I could get one and just keep it in the garage/boot as required.

So! As there are no official W212 spare wheels on the market I was thinking about buying this:

A2034012002

(there are quite a few of them on eBay)

It's 15" Vredestein really compact looking spare wheel which is good up to 50 mph (enough to get me home!) but question is:

Will it fit my car? I have standard 17" alloys with tyres 225-50-R17.
Obviously I understand that I need a compressor, jack and set of short screws to go with it but will this wheel do the job on my car?
If not then why not? What should I be looking for?

Many thanks
Chris

Your choice, obviously, but why bother?

When was the last time you actually suffered a puncture?

And what's wrong with the compressor / goo that came with the car? That will get you from the "middle of nowhere" to somewhere you can get a puncture repaired or a tyre replaced.

st13phil,

Last time I did suffer a puncture it was on M4 in December around 7PM - 100 miles exactly from home. Had to call for help as didn't fancy fixing it on the driver's side while dark on M4's shoulder! The puncture was so bad that goo would not help. And that was on Friday afternoon. Not sure what I would do without spare? Wait until Saturday with car on flat bed?

Few weeks ago I did on quite tight schedule 4k miles around Europe. One puncture could ruin our trip without spare. I mean would I wait in France or Belgium until Monday or until they open tyre shops and hope that they have my tyre in stock?
Not too mention that I don't speak French, Italian, Dutch or whatever languages they use in Belgium... Quick tyre replacement is just convenient and will get me places.

Anyway! I was asking if that tyre is good for my car and if not what i need to look for?

Cheers
Chris

OK, fair comment.

My guess is that the 15" spare that you listed won't clear the brakes on a W212. According to the manual, the mini-spare you require is a T 155/70 R17 110 M (tyre) on a 4.0 B x 17 H2 ET 39 rim.

Don't forget that you'll also need the jack & wheelbrace.

In addition to the wheel brace and jack, make sure you don't need different wheel bolts to mount the mini-spare

st13phil! That was exactly the answer I was after. many thanks!

Now, where do I find spare wheel to this specification... :-( What a nightmare! This should be easy and straightforward process but for some reason it's not for W212 2015.

The moron which decided that goo is a good idea instead of spare wheel should be put on the road first as I guess he has very little driving under his belt!

Cheers
Chris

i have the spare in my 2013 model. Im sure it would fit onto the new 2015-2016 models too. Maybe have a look at some breakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom