W212 - anyone know which factory?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peterr_ibg

Car
S 350 BlueTech L AMG Sport Edition ( sold), Audi A8 Black edition
I've been pressing my broker for a confirmed date for delivery on my new E350 CDI and was given a date, but subject to transport .

They say there could be delays as they are made in South America and transport problems can happen.

UK models made in South America? Anyone know for certain if this is correct or BS?

If that's true I'm off to BMW with my next car.

I have no idea whether there is any truth in it but I would be amazed if MB let their no.1 mass market car be built outside of Sindelfingen - the E class is what keeps the company afloat.

UK models made in South America? Anyone know for certain if this is correct or BS?
BS of the worst kind. UK-spec W212's are all built in Sindelfingen. There's a plant in London, South Africa, that builds some RHD cars, but they're not for the UK market.

Yes , it all sounded BS to me.

Quick google search shows there is a big production facility in Mexico, but it manufactures for the Latin American market only.

Fingers crossed that the delivery date sticks and I get the car without any more delays

would be interesting to know the difference in realiability between a SAfrica or Mexican one and a german built machine. I would of thought all the parts come from the same place, so component failure would not be a problem, just the way they are screwed together possibly ???

RHD made in South America and then shipped to UK or other RHD Countries?!
There are much closer RHD Countires. Perhaps where the steering wheel is makes not a jot of difference to the assy lines.

Wonder if the Germans would accept LHD cars made in say, India.

CLCs for the UK market are built in Brazil and almost all RHD C-Class are built in South Africa.

Oddly Mercedes all seem to rust just as badly no matter where they are built.

would be interesting to know the difference in realiability between a SAfrica or Mexican one and a german built machine. I would of thought all the parts come from the same place, so component failure would not be a problem, just the way they are screwed together possibly ???
The London (SA) plant has repeatedly won quality awards for their production and is recognised as one of the best plants quality-wise in the Daimler group. But that's all irrelevant to the OP because all UK-spec W212's are built in Sindelfingen.

The plant in London (SA), was rated better than the Bremen plant in 2009 by JD Power for quality. No E Class built in Brazil, just the CLC and also starting to build Accelo truck this year.

Parts don't always come from the same place. They are usually supplied from the same company, but often that company is using its plant/facility based near the OEM plant for manufacture. That means they use local materials, production techniques, quality control etc..

In theory they are the same parts & cars, the reality is usually very different.

The London (SA) plant has repeatedly won quality awards for their production and is recognised as one of the best plants quality-wise in the Daimler group. But that's all irrelevant to the OP because all UK-spec W212's are built in Sindelfingen.

OT but what about UK 204s? wagons and saloons?

Could you tell me where these codes are listed please?

Enter "interpreting Mercedes VIN numbers" into GOOGLE and all will be revealed.
It is the 11th character of the vin which identifies the place of manufacture
Good luck.
Regards
John

Enter "interpreting Mercedes VIN numbers" into GOOGLE and all will be revealed.
It is the 11th character of the vin which identifies the place of manufacture
Good luck.
Regards
John

Thankfully my 350 coupe VIN commences with W which signifies Germany, however I am now confused. Apparently the 10th digit represents the model year (2010=A 2011=B). My car is an 11 plate registered March and told by the dealer it was a December 2010 build but my 10th digit is 2???

Thankfully my 350 coupe VIN commences with W which signifies Germany, however I am now confused. Apparently the 10th digit represents the model year (2010=A 2011=B). My car is an 11 plate registered March and told by the dealer it was a December 2010 build but my 10th digit is 2???

But what is your 11th digit as that is the one which is the build factory code? Give us your complete vin no please.
Regards
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom