W212 Artico Seat Split

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E220D

Car
E220 AMG Sport
Hello,

I have just noticed that my drivers seat looks like it is splitting. It looks like this is a common problem for Artico. Not a happy bunny as the car has only done 34k miles.
Aside from the obvious of swapping out the whole interior for leather, has anyone got any suggestions?
Has anyone experience of getting it repaired? Any recommendations?

Thanks

Neal

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

Attachments

• image-3685067190.jpg
    image-3685067190.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 226
E220D said:
Hello, I have just noticed that my drivers seat looks like it is splitting. It looks like this is a common problem for Artico. Not a happy bunny as the car has only done 34k miles. Aside from the obvious of swapping out the whole interior for leather, has anyone got any suggestions? Has anyone experience of getting it repaired? Any recommendations? Thanks Neal Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

Father in laws E220 SE had the same issue. He took it to his local Mercedes dealer, they photographed it, submitted it to head office who accepted it was a warranty claim.

The car was booked in and the entire lower seat cover replaced.

It was almost identical in size and position as your problem.

His car was within the 3 year warranty.

Reactions: 219
Mine has 75k on it now, my seats are still perfect. Perhaps I've been lucky, but I do clean them regularly with leather wipes. (I know they are not leather, but it brings them up nice!)

Red C220 said:
Father in laws E220 SE had the same issue. He took it to his local Mercedes dealer, they photographed it, submitted it to head office who accepted it was a warranty claim. The car was booked in and the entire lower seat cover replaced. It was almost identical in size and position as your problem. His car was within the 3 year warranty.

May give it a go then although mine is 4 years old and covered by a Mercedes Used Warranty.

You've jinxed me!!!

I was cleaning mine at the weekend and guess what............. seat split in EXACTLY the same place!!!

Trip to my dealer to discuss warranty replacement on the cards........

v77blk.jpg

Got the same thing. My car is over 5 years old and well out of warranty so I wasnt going to bother. But seeing so many people with the same problem is making me give it second thoughts.

I haved owned the car from new, 30K odd miles, driven by only me and I have had it serviced at the same Mercedes dealer since new.

Will they fix this as a goodwill gesture. It is definitely a manufacturing fault seeing that so many people have the same problem.

Any joy with the extended warranty?

Did you get any joy with claiming on the extended warranty?? Mine has done the same!

Good luck, at 4 years old and 30k miles my s212 drivers seat has started to split. Car was under approved used warranty but told MB uk wouldnt make any contribution to the cost. Anyone know of any alternatives to gritting my teeth and paying a massive repair cost to MB?

F Wagon said:
Good luck, at 4 years old and 30k miles my s212 drivers seat has started to split. Car was under approved used warranty but told MB uk wouldnt make any contribution to the cost. Anyone know of any alternatives to gritting my teeth and paying a massive repair cost to MB?
Post some pictures up on twitter and say what you said here.
See what Mercedes say then.

so much for Artico being as durable as, if not more durable than, real leather

Artico is vinyl, plain and simple. A cheap version at that. Now, the original MBTex vinyl offered years ago truly is bombproof! As demonstrated in many a Stuttgart taxi..

hi All

My C- Class AMG sport+ has the same issue 3 year warranty about to end on the weekend!!! 9700 miles on the clock used on the weekends (got a works van) ,went to the dealers today submitted a claim , dealers Said " looks like a scag to me " :( i told him he's having a laugh there is definitely a problem with this MB Artico Leather !!! i will have to wait and see what the warranty dept say,posted some pics , the small cracks starting to peel only noticed this weekend when cleaning the car, I feel i may have a bit of a fight on my hands here!

Attachments

• 20160322_123405.jpg
    20160322_123405.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 20160322_123607.jpg
    20160322_123607.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 20160322_124005.jpg
    20160322_124005.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 80
I have always wondered how they get away with calling this cheap nasty vinyl artico leather.?

What on earth is wrong with cloth?

so much for Artico being as durable as, if not more durable than, real leather

They know full well that it is not. Customers are still buying seats that crack and Mercedes are still happy to sell them. :(
What makes it worse is that they then tell me that it will be £350+labour to buy a replacement vinyl, sorry artico leather, base seat cover that will end up doing the same thing in a few years.

Last edited:
Hi all

Dealer has contacted me MB UK have agreed to carry out a replacement cover under warranty :D

Is this still happening? My 2006 B200 Turbo had those awful quality seats that cracked at 30,000miles.
I just looked on their approved used website. Every C class they had in my spec/price range had ‘artico’ seats.

The old boy is semi interested in getting a GLA and they all have Artico , cause for concern around MY16/17 ?

Have same problem with 05 CLK, MB still using this Artico crap!!!!!! My 1960 190B has MBtex, no splits/cracks some stitching has come undone, a bit grubby but in good condition.

My 2008 C Class has a split on the drivers side bolster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom