[W212] Bi-Xenon bulb replacement (left side) - SOLVED!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cezar

Car
W212 E350 CGI
Guys

Had left bulb burned the other days. Just looking under the bonnet is clear as day the access is restricted. Searching the internet gives you the option to take the wheel out, remove the plastic protection cover and that gives you access. The problem with that for me was the plastic cover removal which could've generated broken clips (as I understood there are some).

So called the dealer. nothing sooner than two weeks. Search another one who said a week. Search another who said again two weeks. But the last one added the cost (approx). Are you sitting? Just the bulb roughly 200 euros on top of which you have to pay the man/hours.

This combined with the two weeks delay (being a daily comuter) made me search for more how to change it from the top. Everyone says it's imposible as there is no space. But I did it.

Went out and bought two D1S Osram Nightbreacker for around 65 eur each. Popped the hood. removed two bolts (see in the pics). Moved that part aside. And just put my hand inside.

Warning: space IS limited. you can't see anything when inside. You just have to "feel" it.

But after 15-20 minutes I had the old one out, the new one in and the lights working. Took the ocasion to replace the other one as well, to ensure same color temperature (old ones were 4150K, new ones are 4500K)

So, that's it. You can do it yourself with a bit of care and willingness. 130 euros and 30-40 minutes, totalling pictures and looking for stuff. Coast avoidance vs dealer? 2x 200 euro plus at least 150 in man/hours, I'd say I saved easily 300 euros.

Good luck if you face the same! Just wanted to share as I struggled a lot to find a solution. Hope it helps!

IMG_8539.jpeg IMG_8540.jpeg IMG_8538.jpeg

Quick question: anyone knows what pet is the one in the middle of the first picture? The one I dismantled?

Was asking this as two days ago I found my rear end dropped all the way down and that’s the only thing I touched. wandering if it has anything to do with the aromatic system or not.

Off topic: Gonna search for more on why the drop happened (once started the engine is back up in 10-15 seconds and stays there without the pump working, but when parked it drops quite fast, sometimes in a matter of minutes or one other time it was up still up after one hour but dropped in the next half)

Mine right hand side started getting pink-ish today :(
Do you know the brand/type of the original one you had changed?

Changed it today. I also had Osram Original 66140 installed so it must be the MB choice at a time and I had decided to stick to it. 66140XNL should be brighter but does it affects the automatic beam dip? I didn’t know the answer.
BTW My local MB parts dept. was asking for £350 for a pair of bulbs:eek:

For the future references this is the correct position of a bulb. Photo is upside down for some reason :dk:5987764B-07E6-4D0C-8198-05C791F7D8ED.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom