W212 broken front coil spring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nialldol

Car
W212 E250 Sport
Hi guys

Driving to work this morning i heard a large bang from the front left of my car. I stopped and got out to find approx. 6 inches of the front left coil spring sitting in the bottom of spring cup. The spring had broken at the bottom and didn't seem to be causing any issue so i gingerly drove on to work.
Just wondering if any one has replaced one before and how big of a job it is?
I have had a quick look on eurocarparts and gsf car parts but no where seems to sell coil springs for this model. Is a mercedes dealer the best place to look and if so how much will this hurt my wallet?
Is replacing in pairs essential?
Car is an E250 cdi sport so has the lowered sport suspension.
Thanks in advance

Hi i just replaced one on a Amg, £60 for the spring from Mercedes Newcastle via EBay and £30 cash in hand for a friend who works at a garage, not essential to replace both.

Last year had front one go on my Eclass, was long way from home and was recovered to local Chester MB stealer. Cost me £ 630 to replace both the front springs , including £ 100 approx to sort an oil leak they found! Ouch .Only good thing was I was covered by Mobilo and got a hire car for two days and they put the car on transporter back home to Wales. As car is 8 year old went to Indi for service last month and will use AA relay in future as can select garage to be recovered to

buy a dealer spring , they know the correct colour coding and are not too expensive . i just did both fronts on my w211 and used 5 spring compressors , not a job for a novice and very dangerous . you could also source a complete strut with correct spring via ebay archives, and fit that

Many thanks for the quick replies.
I have phone the local MB dealer and they have quoted a price of £102 inc. VAT per spring. They have said it doesn't say installing in pairs is shown on their system so it should be fine to install a single spring.
What are your thoughts on this?
I would be fairly handy with the spanners and have done a coil spring before on a megane but is the merc going to be a lot more tricky?

Dealers who fixed mine said it is recommended to swap both sides as the old undamaged Spring likely to be softer after 8 years so handling would be better and safer. Decided it seemed logical and not just a sales ploy so replaced both. Must admit seems feel a bit stiffer and is handling well on twisty bumpy roads at speeds, don't think it it my imagination.
But in the end it is down to how much you want to spend, nothing to stop you doing one side only

if you use plenty of spring compressors and take your time winding them down and do them in an order you'll do ok . merc springs are quite long and need reducing by around 9 inches or so to get the bearing top to fit on .depends also on year and model , just remember that they can explode at any given time and are potentially very dangerous and should be treated with respect. :thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
We did the fronts on one of our 2010 W212 E250 Sport in March last year as one had broke.

Bought springs direct from Mercedes dealer, A2123211404 £61 +VAT as well as the lower shim (EPC says replace) A2123220084 £6 +VAT.

I'd always recommend buying springs direct as they are colour coded depending on the model and options etc.

As has been said use a good spring compressor and treat it like a loaded gun.

Many thanks for the quick replies.
I have phone the local MB dealer and they have quoted a price of £102 inc. VAT per spring. They have said it doesn't say installing in pairs is shown on their system so it should be fine to install a single spring.
What are your thoughts on this?
I would be fairly handy with the spanners and have done a coil spring before on a megane but is the merc going to be a lot more tricky?

When Mercedes replaced a rear shock for me under warranty they said their policy was to replace in pairs if the car/shocks had done more than 60k miles from memory.

They might apply the same criteria to springs. Having said that front springs have a reputation for snapping even on cars standing overnight, so replacing one might put more stress on the old spring.

Hi, sorry for resurrecting an old thread but did anyone managed to replace the front springs themselves as my front spring has a crack after 8 years of owning the car.

I am pretty handy with a good bit of car DIY, but having done most jobs on cars previously, front springs and shocks (which are almost always shock inside the coil) are one job I would always pay someone else to do for safety.

Without industrial commercial kit, there is more risk, especially as the Merc front setup is mighty powerful due to the weight of the car.

As others have suggested, a bit of a money saver could be removing the front spring/shock assembly, and taking that to a garage.

Hi, sorry for resurrecting an old thread but did anyone managed to replace the front springs themselves as my front spring has a crack after 8 years of owning the car.

Book it in somewhere, and have both fronts renewed. B32054000034.110518.png

I've had a front spring replaced on 2 cars, my W201 and my current W204. In both cases only one spring was replaced and I was unable to detect any measurable difference in ride height side to side. It has not been my experience that the 2nd spring failed soon after. On the W201 it never did right up to 26 years old.

As for who to do it. I did the W201 myself and it was a bear of a job. I swore I would never do it again and didn't on the W204. To be fair a strut is an easier proposition than the inboard springs on the W201. If you can get the strut off then a friendly garage could swap the springs for you in minutes.

I replaced a broken spring on my s211 myself. It snapped within 50 metres of my house fortunately.
I took off the strut and the old broken spring more or less fell off.
I had 4 manual spring compressors on the new spring to get the strut assembled.

Like above, I only replaced the side that had broken. The car handled as normal after I replaced it - I did get a genuine MB one though.
The other side didn't snap during the next couple of years of my ownership.

Use the paint stripes on the old spring to make sure the replacement is correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom