W212 buyers guide?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
I’ve been looking through autotrader wondering..............

Looking at 09-12 plate 212s. Either the 220,250, or 350 CDI.
Seems that barely any of these came with Xenons, only the 350s seem to have them?

Also some have the gear selector on a stalk, and some a normal selector lever in the centre...?

I think the 220 and 250 have the OM651 engine, and the 350 has the OM642?

Are either of these particularly troublesome? What sort of mpg do they do on the motorway?

There was a lovely 350cdi for sale, good price too. However on the recent MOT, an advisory stating ‘oil leak but not excessive’... I’m not sure if this is overly strict MOT tester pointing out that he saw 10ml of oil that someone probably spilt, or if there’s an actual leak?
2009 Silver MERCEDES-BENZ E CLASS 3.0 E350 CDI Sport Auto 4dr for sale for £6295 in Harlow, Essex

Cheers

Last edited:
No one know anything about 212s? :)

Not got a w212, but got a
c207 350 cdi basically the same car, less doors
obviously, had it ,
7 months now, love it!
Lovely smooth quiet engine and very rapid if you fancy a play :D and rides great and I've got 19s on and lowered.
MPG between 30-40.
Overall a great motor! :)

A 350cdi with an oil leak (if it's dripping from the back of the engine) could be the oil cooler seals... Cheap part, big job

The Avantgarde and Sports should have Zenons/ILS. My AG does.

My 220 will do 50+ on a long run, and very rarely drops below 40 unless you are stuck in stop/star town driving for a period of time. I have averaged 47/48 over the life of mine.

The 220/250 is a very reliable engine, mine has the 5g box and is now on 305k with no major issues. One water pump at 220k ish miles and that's about it.

If you drive the 350 though you probably won't want the 4 pot :)

You definitely won't want the 4 pot.

I want a 350.

I bought an E350 Cdi Coupe from a main dealer a few years ago on a 61 plate. I had it about 9 months which for me is quite a long time as I like to chop and change quite regular. The v6 diesel is a lovely refined engine that goes well enough but in all honesty I found the driving experience pretty lame and soulless. It was a nice enough car but I’m back in a 3 litre BMW diesel now and that does put a smile on my face when you bury the throttle..

Several mates have the 350 and theirs do around 32mpg mixed and low 40's on a run which is about 10mpg less than the 250 (43 mixed and 50+ on a run) and isn't that much quicker in real traffic. I'd buy a petrol rather than a 350 CDi if economy isn't the requirement. Otherwise the 250.

Of the 220, 250 and 350 owners I know personally, the 350 is the least reliable as well.

Also agree with RSTurno50 in that I have found it to be the most characterless car I have ever owned. The Comand audio system is so far behind the times. If I hadn't found the ability to add an Android unit over the top I'd have sold mine by now. Only really the lack of choice for decent rear leg room in 4 seater convertibles drove me towards the Mercedes when my Saab 9-3 got too old.

Last edited:
To be honest not really been on a long motorway run, it's a mixture of town and duel carriage ways.

I bought an E350 Cdi Coupe from a main dealer a few years ago on a 61 plate. I had it about 9 months which for me is quite a long time as I like to chop and change quite regular. The v6 diesel is a lovely refined engine that goes well enough but in all honesty I found the driving experience pretty lame and soulless. It was a nice enough car but I’m back in a 3 litre BMW diesel now and that does put a smile on my face when you bury the throttle..
All very interesting, except that the Coupe isn’t a W212 and is in fact built on a modified W204 platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct, but the W212 is even more of a soulless car than the 207's.

I disagree.

I had an E350CDI for 3 years before owning two E63’s. While it didn’t deliver the fireworks that the V8 Biturbo does, it was still a great car and far from soulless.

Put it this way, the CLK 320 CDi Sport I had before I bought the E350 CDi was a far nicer car both in terms of looks and comfort/refinement. I prefer the 320 CDi engine as well. I remember picking the E350 CDi from Mercedes of Stockport, I’d only been on the motorway twenty minutes and I knew I’d bought the wrong car. I then got it on the driveway and felt even worse.

I just felt it was such a boring car though yes it was the coupe not the saloon but not overly that much different

yes it was the coupe not the saloon but not overly that much different
Sorry, I have to disagree. Having driven the Coupé and lived with the Saloon I can assure you that they are a very different drive. The saloon’s chassis is much better balanced than the Coupé’s, and the car is a much more refined package overall.

FWIW, I was hugely underwhelmed by the Coupé which I found pretty disappointing. So we do agree on that [emoji6]

Definitely have to disagree, spent a month with an petrol E350 W212 last year and it was just as bland to look at and drive. The Cabriolet only gets pleasurable when you can drop the roof. Coupe can't do that with, so would be as bad as the saloon for me.

Anyway, I'll leave it there as it is subjective and for the OP to consider for themselves.

Bland? I used to own a W212 E300 (Petrol) before I moved the UK. In terms of looks, bland is the last thing I would call it, like are we talking about the same car? In terms of driving, yeah it wasn't the sportiest thing around, but it was designed to be refined and it did that job very very well.
But then as you've said, it is a subjective thing.

W212 E350 CDI
was one of the best cars I ever bought. V fast. V frugal. Sublime on motorway. Took 5 adults in comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom